• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A litttle astro photography

SatNav

The scope in the pictures is a Skywatcher 130p AZIMUTH goto which is an ideal and very capable starter scope http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=skywatcher_explorer_130p_AZ_goto . I paid closer to

Hi Hal, I found most people have their DSLR's modified because the fitted internal filter cuts a large amount of the red light needed for hydrogen alpha nebulae emissions. The only way to get round this is to have the internal filter removed costing anything up to

Does the camera screw onto the eyepiece? I assume you can get good high MP cameras?

I didn't know this stuff was that affordable, thought it was more in the 1000s rather than 100s. Very tempted now :)

Hi Paul the neximage camera just sits in the focuser on the scope, no eyepiece needed. You can also attach it to a barlow lens to get higher mag. You could get set up with a scope, mount and camera for less than

Ace photos!

Fwiw, "cooled" camera systems are only to keep the noise down on the sensor. Most DSLRs these days can get away with a 5 min exposure without too much issue - just do it on a nice cold night! ;)

Amazing pics on your site BTW :good:

Amazing pics on your site BTW :good:

Cheers!

Getting the filters off cameras is starting to cost less and less these days, lots of people get it modded for IR photography. Dark frames shouldn't be a problem either, just cover it up.

Here's a little tutorial I read a few weeks back, might be of interest: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/725769/0

wow fantastic shots there mate. One of my neighbours also had a skywatcher and he let me have a look at jupiter which was amazing and hard to keep an eye on as the earth is moving on its axis so it was constantly going out of sight but you could clearly see its 4 largest moons around it. If you can then try and get some pictures of it up, its the brightest star in the sky although its not a star ;)

Edited by Rickster922

ace pictures mate good.gif

cant you get an equatorial mount for the goto scopes ?

Hi Storm, you can get equatorial goto mounts

HEQ5PROL.gif

Not cheap though at

wow fantastic shots there mate. One of my neighbours also had a skywatcher and he let me have a look at jupiter which was amazing and hard to keep an eye on as the earth is moving on its axis so it was constantly going out of sight but you could clearly see its 4 largest moons around it. If you can then try and get some pictures of it up, its the brightest star in the sky although its not a star ;)

Hi Rick I do have some of Jupiter in avi format but I will need to stack them before I can get a final image, I will post them as soon as I can :)

• 5 months later...

your astro cam :

what is its megapixel rate ? and what software are you using to adjust gain, balance and exposure settings ? is it K3CCD by any chance ?

i am looking to convert a Sony eye toy and a elcheapo webcam into astronomy CCD cameras.

as for cooling with over 5 min exposures, petilter cooling is cheap, you can find the units in those cheap small tabletop fridge's. an alloy plate with rubber spacers should allow the cold plate to sit on the silicon chip. run it from a small 9v PP3 battery.

other things inside the camera give of a heat sig, the batterys are the big major problem. remove these to outside the camera will cut down on the heat sig.

the cooling mod has been done on a few hacked webcams to cool them down and have given ideal results.

creative NX

philips vista pro /toucam pro / toucam pro II

these are the best around but are discontinued, they are able to capture to 1 lux, others capture 6 or 10 lux. these cams tend to have a sony CCD fitted.

does your manual give you any hint of the CCD used in your astrocam

Edited by Tamiyacowboy