• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage Flux owner club

bulletflux 345

8 minutes ago, Twist said:

That noise I posted seems to be normal for the savage, I changed the slipper pad, checked all tranny gears, shafts and bearings, also upgraded the 18-23t to HD and still it persisted. Did more research and confirmed its just the way it is.

Oh well, learned how to do something new and changed a worn drive set so no real loss... besides not having any time to actually drive the thing over the weekend.

fyi, if anyones looking for a skid plate wheelspin has RPM on clearance for under a tenner. Great product imo.

I kinda did say everything is fine ;)

My lower pins are moving back and forward in the arms, I see the issue is the little plastic tabs on the front and rear skid plates are slightly damaged that hold the pins in, it looks as though the pins dont perfectly fit in the space available, they are shorter so can slide back and forth which seems a little silly.

Would alloy plates be a good upgrade or would that just create more stress on the other plastic bits and cause breakage?

Edited by Twist

6 minutes ago, Twist said:

These, in the square plastic slots...

Heat the plastic up and carefully bend the plastic walls back into place and hold as it cools or cool quickly in cold water. The newer plastics dont seem as strong as the older ones.

Dont go alloy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, locky said:

Heat the plastic up and carefully bend the plastic walls back into place and hold as it cools or cool quickly in cold water. The newer plastics dont seem as strong as the older ones.

Dont go alloy.

Thanks mate, will try this. :good:

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Would the Alza braces help? I keep thinking of fitting these to mine to protect the bulkheads. 

As in the curved bits of ally??if u have tie rod deletes  fitted  then there no good as i bought  one  but  didnt need it 

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Would the Alza braces help? I keep thinking of fitting these to mine to protect the bulkheads. 

Looking at this pic it does look like this will cure the 'problem'. Just need to do some more reading... thanks for the advice.

Pics for anyone whos interested... ouch, pricey, will look at cheaper options for now.

bulkhead-brace-conversion-kit.jpg

DSC_7938.jpg~original

Edited by Twist

Pretty sure these are m4 x 78mm, should be able to pick up some Allen M4 stainless bolts for very little (90mm length x 20mm thread to cut down), trim the plastic junk off the skid plates and use locking nuts.

Edited by Twist

3 hours ago, Twist said:

should be able to pick up some Allen M4 stainless bolts for very little

Sounds like best vfm solution, let's know how it goes and if you have to trim any plastic. I've re-bent mine into shape a few times and never lost any pins. Alza parts for this are too expensive for me.

47 minutes ago, locky said:

Sounds like best vfm solution, let's know how it goes and if you have to trim any plastic. I've re-bent mine into shape a few times and never lost any pins. Alza parts for this are too expensive for me.

Agreed, will post results... should cost a massive £7.50.

Edited by Twist

30 minutes ago, locky said:

Yeah that's where I saw them earlier, I'll go for 90s as I'll be adding a half and full nyloc nut for locking so I don't bind, then trim off remaining thread... id also prefer more bare than threaded shaft so a 90 leaves 70 bare.

Figured out another way, I know a guy with a machine shop and were going to use some 4mm stainless and cut thread onto each end, so it looks like the pic below... then attach a nyloc nut on each end. The savage pins are 78mm but they are oversize for movement, they really only needed to be 75mm if they used a better design. So my unthreaded area (L) will be 76mm, then T and C will be about 4mm each. Theres enough room, I checked last night.

I will also be doing the upper pins at the same time.

489_Stud.JPG

Edited by Twist
  • Like 1