• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Found the HPI Pro-D for under

colmo

My initial impression is that this isn't a fake, but simply an OEM version (i.e. made in the same factory) of the same car, minus the HPI branding.

The site itself doesn't try to pass it off as a HPI Pro-D - that name only appears on the spares link.

So, is it a fake or an OEM version?

Edited by colmo

fake

And you know this as truth because...?

Perhaps fake is the wrong word, as it doesn't have a HPI sticker on it - is it a copy?

Edit: I've sent r2hobbies an email asking what's up with this car. My breath is baited....

Edited by colmo

Edit: I've sent r2hobbies an email asking what's up with this car. My breath is baited....

And I got their response just now:

Thank you for your e-mail. Actually, our "1:10 4WD Carbon Fiber Chassis On-Road Drift Car (Shaft-Drive) - Product ID: *rcve00050" is very similar with the "HPI Pro-D". But it is not the same factory. The spare parts is compatible.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,

R2hobbies

So it is a copy.

Yup, pure rip-off of the HPI Pro-D. Its the same as knock-off designer fashion and pirated movies - its wrong to buy and wrong to use.

I posted this on another forum about a copy of the Xray T2'007 (ironically, by the same knock-off company it seems), it applies here:

Originally Posted by Born2Run on RCTech

The problem is that this car -being a copy- bothers many people here.Come on guys.You didn't find anything positive on this car.Absolutely nothing?Be onest.

There's NOTHING positive about ripping off a major company and their products, just to make a quick buck or two.

I know its a long shot, but take this situation....

''Well Known Company'' makes a high end car. Very fast, wins races around the globe. Lots and lots and lots of hours invested in the design, research and manufacture of the car. As a result, demand is high, and the company puts on extra shifts, and hires local people to fill the orders. To ensure that quality is kept to a maximum, they hire guys to check, check and triple check everything to make sure its all 100% before being packaged (by more employees). For all this financial investment and security offered by ''Well Known Company'', they ask $400 for the car.

''Random guy in another country'' wants to make some money. He sees ''Well Known Company'' charging $400 for a 'toy car', and manages to get hold of one. He thinks he can copy/rip off/steal all the sizes and dimensions of the car, change a couple of materials and sell it at a much lower price. A quick measurement with his verniers and.....hey presto, ''Random guy in another country'' is a car manufacturer. He charges $150 for his version of ''Well Known Company''s car.

'Where is this leading?', I hear you ask...

''Joe Public'' is feeling the pinch of the credit crunch. He wants a new car as his 'LosociatPImo' is a few years old and doesn't cut the mustard at the track anymore. He spots ''Well Known Company''s car, but can't afford (or doesn't want to spend) $400, so he goes for ''Random guy in another country''s car.

All it takes is 4 or 5 people at every track to do the same as ''Joe Public'' and suddenly, ''Well Known Company''s sales are through the floor. They can't run those extra shifts as demand has plummeted. All the staff they took on have to be released as ''Well Known Company''s bank balance is now in the red, and the money isn't there to pay them. Eventually, the company folds.

Is there anything postive about someone stealing the design (and I mean stealing it 100%, same sizes, hole locations etc, not taking design cues and ideas) from a company?

Hell no.

''Random guy in another country'' wants to make some money. He sees ''Well Known Company'' charging $400 for a 'toy car', and manages to get hold of one. He thinks he can copy/rip off/steal all the sizes and dimensions of the car, change a couple of materials and sell it at a much lower price. A quick measurement with his verniers and.....hey presto, ''Random guy in another country'' is a car manufacturer. He charges $150 for his version of ''Well Known Company''s car.

And it isn't just 'toy' cars this is happening with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chery_QQ

The Chery QQ is such a perfect copy of the Daewoo Matiz that the doors are interchangeable!

Essentially, while it isn't ethically sound, there's nothing legally stopping Chinese companies producing knock-offs, or for us to buy them. Some eventually go on to become 'brands' in their own right, with their own designs - I'm thinking of the Benro range of photographic tripods, which started off ripping off the premium-priced Gitzo brand, before evolving into a serious contender (and the biggest seller of tripods in China, iirc).

In the case of this particular touring car, I'd have to say that it's fairly serious money already - you can get a pretty good branded (and used) TC for that kind of money.

The other, cheaper chassis look more appealing, being quite cheap - again, they're competing with a good, used chassis of known origin. Spares could be a deal-breaker for them.

Edited by colmo

i dont think theres anything wrong with buying them, you pays your money you takes your chances

Its wrong that someone can profit from someone else's investment and hard work.

And it isn't just 'toy' cars this is happening with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chery_QQ

The Chery QQ is such a perfect copy of the Daewoo Matiz that the doors are interchangeable!

Essentially, while it isn't ethically sound, there's nothing legally stopping Chinese companies producing knock-offs, or for us to buy them. Some eventually go on to become 'brands' in their own right, with their own designs - I'm thinking of the Benro range of photographic tripods, which started off ripping off the premium-priced Gitzo brand, before evolving into a serious contender (and the biggest seller of tripods in China, iirc).

In this case, I'd have to say that it's fairly serious money already - you can get a pretty good branded (and used) TC for that kind of money.

The other, cheaper chassis look more appealing, being quite cheap - again, they're competing with a good, used chassis of known origin. Spares could be a deal-breaker for them.

Its a humungous can of worms really, but at the end of the day, copyright laws and patents still apply and if I were HPI, I'd go after the scammers, just like they did with Thunder Tiger and those Baja rip-offs.

Its a humungous can of worms really, but at the end of the day, copyright laws and patents still apply and if I were HPI, I'd go after the scammers, just like they did with Thunder Tiger and those Baja rip-offs.

How did that end? If they've done it once, they'll maybe know how to do it again.

I think the problem with chasing copyright in China is the enormous effort and expense required to do it. Using the Gitzo / Benro tripod example from earlier, Gitzo decided to cut their losses and pulled out of China (they had unwittingly trained the counterfeiters themselves while trying to set up a factory there). Perhaps HPI, being Japanese instead of Italian, are more familiar with how things work in the region.

Edited by colmo

Ages ago I got a cheap new car on ebay, a "Seben racing" car, when i got it it was a perfect clone of the hpi rs4 evo. The difference was in the quality of materials used. The stock wheels and tyres cracked within 10 minutes of light use, turnbuckles were popping off left right and centre, the supplied shell was thin and didnt fit properly, the engine wouldnt hold a proper tune or rev up as high as it should, it wasnt anywhere near as well balanced as my mates HPI...the list goes on.

If youre looking for a cheap car to play with in the rain or to rag around and not worry about then get a copy but if you want a decent car with good parts backup and build quality then go with the name :)

D

Edited by boze

• 3 years later...

its a humangous wrong but its the way the world goes look at aldi tvs and stuff perfect compies off samsung i actually have one sound is actually better (surprising) but the screen is just as good i paid 400 samsungs version 1200-1500

it depends on what you want to pay you pay for a brand nowadays 400 quid car - losi 120 rip off no make i know what id choose espicially if parts are interchangable

Cheap imitations are a direct road to karma.

You get what you pay for.....

If its cheap, it won't have the R&D the genuine version has, and very unlikely to perform as well as the genuine version.

And, WHEN (not if) it does break, there's usually another invitation to karma, because the parts supply is lame.

Not only are you helping the "knock off market of r/c" you are also helping big, well known r/c businesses slowly getting strangled by lack of income.

I guess it all depends on how strong your moral views are on this hobby....... :thumbsup:

If I had the money I would love to buy genuine, As Im sure we all would if we could, but sometimes moral views are somewhat less of a element when picking a new car in the current environment.

And in some cases its a good thing to buy "Clones" as although it hurts the big companys it helps the comsumer...I mean look at how much the price of tablet pcs have gone down since the market has been flooded by cheap chinese alterntives that are as good as the big brand ones...it forces the companys to lower there silly high prices...no names here...ccof apple.,,,and now look we can now get decent big brand product with a lower price tags....