• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

acoms 2.4ghz setup guide

adolf hamster

ok, ive been seeing alot of 'how do i set up my acoms radio' threads recently so for anybody who's just bought an acoms set here is a guide to how to set it up;

first step;

plugging it all in, since the transmitter doesn't need much plugging in just stick in 8 aa batteries. for the rx. first you should remove your previous reciever and unplug everything you should have three cables, one will be your battery, one your throttle servo [or esc for electrics] and the final your steering servo. firstly make sure you know which is which. your battery will go into the plug next to the one marked b [or the one closest the label] the one below the battery is the steering servo and below that is thr throttle, the last one is left open.

second step;

getting the transmitter to connect to the reciever, first press the button on the back of the transmitter and, still holding the button turn the transmitter on, the red light will flash. this means the transmitter is now on a sort of 'base' setting for it to register. now press the button on the reciever and again turn it on while holding this button, this also sets the reciever to the base setting and they should register automatically.

now before i cover the failsafe i will cover how to get your servos going the right way since this is pretty puzzling;

for the throttle, hold the throttle and use the trim switch [holding it means it changes the atv] hold the trim switch as it goes down to its lowest value [20] and hold it for a second or two, it should then beep and say 'rev' this means it is now reversed and you can reset the atv to whatever it was before. steering is pretty much the same as throttle only you hold the steering wheel.

ok now for the failsafe;

use the 'base setting' described earlier, press the button on the reciever and the led should either come on or go off, press the button until the led is off, then set where you want the throttle to be [usually braking or at idle unless your some sort of madman who wants to destroy their car :P ] by using the transmitter. now turn everything off then on again. for a second or two when the reciever is on it should go to your programmed setting [which i find very reassuring, nice to know it works]

final step;

turn on the transmitter then turn on the reciever, start your engine and thrash your car until it waves a little white flag or you run out of fuel and enjoy your new radio gear :D

additional notes;

the servos included with the kit are not strong enough for serious off road use although they make handy spares.

there is a low battery alarm on the transmitter that is pretty persistent, if your failsafe begins to engage randomly without this alarm the batterys in your reciever need charged [you do use a rechargable hump/stick pack right? if not i do advise you get one, saves a fortune on AAs].

to setup for another model having bought another reciever simply hold the memory button until it comes up with memory, press memory again, it should say 2 on the lcd, turn the transmitter off then run through the setup process again for the new reciever. whenever you want to change cars just press memory and select whatever number that car has and after a second or two it will be ready to go.

if anyone else has anything they think i have missed or have got wrong just say and i'll edit it [my spelling can be truly terrible sometimes :P ]

edit; for anybody who has changed their throttle servo, especially if it is reversed check your failsafe function!!! just had the baja run off because of a reversed failsafe setting causing normal braking failsafe to become throttle and only just survived an expensive crash because it is so tough. please learn from my fortunatly not expensive mistake!!

Edited by adolf hamster
  • Like 3

Nice one dude,that'll save a lot of headaches and me having to keep explaining how to do it.I must admit,it is a little confusing setting the radio up initially,loads harder than the Spekkie and my Sanwa MX3... :)

I cant get my wheels to turn fully. They will go about half way.

you mean steering? hold the wheel fully left or fully right and use the trim for the steering to adjust the steering atv, similar to the throttle setup i described by adjusting it larger the wheels should turn further. make sure the front of the car is off the ground.

Edited by adolf hamster

Nice ;)

+1 for the crappy babelfish translation :D:D

i have to andmit most of this was just the instruction booklet properly translated but i did check everything i wrote just to make sure, lol now my car has settings on memory 1 and memory 2 :P

• 3 weeks later...

Having trouble setting my failsafe.

At the moment when I turn the transmitter off while the receiver is on the steering servo goes hard left (ok) but the throttle actually goes forward which doesn't take a genius to work out is "not good".

the guide mentions use the "base setting" so I have tried:

1) Hold the button on the back of the transmitter and turn it on - transmitter flashes. Turn the receiver on - goes into current failsafe, can't change any servo positions from the transmitter.

2)Turn the transmitter on, hold the button on the receiver down and turn it on.. Receiver light flashes, can't change any servo positions from the transmitter. Further presses of the button on the receiver do nothing.

3)Turn the transmitter on , turn the receiver on, 2 seconds failsafe (the one I don't want) then normal operation, pressing the button on the receiver does nothing.

4) Press the button on the transmitter and turn it on (flashing light), same for the receiver (the tx and rx are identifying themselves now ) but still can't adjust anything (but not really surprised on this one. just trying it to cover all possibilities).

Ideally I want brakes on when in failsafe. At the moment I have enough throttle to keep it moving. Any ideas?

Figured it out:

1) Hold down the button on the back of the transmitter and turn it on. The power light on the transmitter should flash.

2) Hold down the button on the receiver and turn it on. Wait a second or two and let go. The receiver light should flash then stay either on or off. If it's ON press the button again to turn it OFF and you should now be able to control the servos from the transmitter.

3)Hold your throttle and steering where you want them to be and then press the button on the receiver again to turn the light ON. (assuming brakes on, full left)

3)Turn the receiver off. Turn the Transmitter off.

4) Turn the Transmitter back on, turn the receiver back on. The car should now go into it's normal operation and perform it's failsafe for 2 seconds at the settings you chose.

5) Test by holding throttle full on and turn the Transmitter off. Throttle should cut and the car should steer left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
have you put the battery box in the right way ? are the connectors touching the pins ? are the batteries the right way round and charged other than that im not sure.

yeh, checked all that

make sure the + and - are conecting proper on all the batteries or try some non rechargable batteries in it. have you got any thing to test to see if there is power coming from the battery box

make sure the + and - are conecting proper on all the batteries or try some non rechargable batteries in it. have you got any thing to test to see if there is power coming from the battery box

on multi metre theres 11 volts in the batterys and the + and - are the right way around on all of them

surly if it was working properly the red led would have come on

Edited by Haza

should work then are the pins on the rx touching where it contacts the battery box ? if it is then i'd send it back and get a new one unless sumone else knows something

ye it beeps and the lcd comes on with the battery voltage

Edited by Russ81

il send it back then, thanks for the help

before you do how many batteries did you put in it? i know it may sound like a stupid question but it was the first mistake i made

before you do how many batteries did you put in it? i know it may sound like a stupid question but it was the first mistake i made

well that battery holder holds eight, so i put eight in lol