• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

35 minutes ago, RestInPieces said:

I grease bearings, is that ok? Wd40 all the steel parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Best thing I found for steel parts is GT-85 spray cans, Teflon based.

Used it all the time on the slide rails/spindle bars for auto-set print finishing machines and the c**p shot straight off. Didn't attract c**p much either, very dirty/dusty environment.

Works a treat :) 

5 hours ago, RestInPieces said:

New shell for the truggy all painted!

4d5ab07f4cc60ab637c75b6e10afe485.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice :) 

Looks better than my white/black/green one, think I'll get you to paint my next one :thumbsup:

On another note, I slightly miscalculated on having a nitro as well as a flux

Batteries!!!! 1 for rx + 1 for glow igniter + 1 for roto start. ooops :D 

However I do have a 2s 6000 lipo that will fit roto so I'll go with that for now although not too keen on using one so close.

I'll go all nimh for those and just have separate small wall chargers set up in the freezing cave me thinks :) 

Hey, im gonna ask a super noob question,  could someone give me the sizes of all 3 of the engine mount screws please.

Also what it the biggest dia flywheel available?  The reason i ask is that the answer-rc one i currently have is a struggle to get it come into contact with my starter box

Thanks

Allan

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

I've just ordered a set Badlands for the buggy, can someone recommend some suitable wheels? Will most 1/8 buggy wheels fit or do I need to worry about offset?

For the buggy Proline sells them pre-mounted to these:

http://prolineracing.com/wheels/velocity-v2-white-front-or-rear-wheels/

I think all buggy wheels are the same offset / diameter etc from what I've seen.

40 minutes ago, pug=309 said:

Hey, im gonna ask a super noob question,  could someone give me the sizes of all 3 of the engine mount screws please.

Also what it the biggest dia flywheel available?  The reason i ask is that the answer-rc one i currently have is a struggle to get it come into contact with my starter box

Thanks

Allan

I'll check for you if you want and get back in morn.

By the way I sell these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191796540478?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Have about 16 sets left if you want one.

However:

I'm actually curious as to whether these would fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191797103785?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I don't like the small screws on the Trophy I may have a look :) 

Flywheel Savage  86271 is 34mm if that's any different, don't know what yours is tbf. clutch shoes + bell should fit (fingers crossed) I haven't got my engine yet (hope 2 moz) so can't check much but if the engine mount in 2nd link fits there are a couple of diff size top plates to bring engine closer to chassis which might help.

I have new chassis for both bug + trug nitro, 32mm fly/clutch sets + both eng mount sets. I could fit one up when eng comes and see if I can get fly flush with chassis. HB mount set-up may be better than those tiny screws + bigger fly :) (If mount fits at all)

Edit: Screw sizes next post.

Edited by dazp1976

37 minutes ago, pug=309 said:

Thanks

Allan

Additional info regarding trophy engine mount screws:

Chassis to orange lower mount: M4 x 8mm countersunk x4

Orange lower mount to silver mount: M4 x 12mm button cap x4

Engine to silver mount: M3 x 14mm socket cap + 3mm spring washer x4

Edited by dazp1976

17 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

For the buggy Proline sells them pre-mounted to these:

http://prolineracing.com/wheels/velocity-v2-white-front-or-rear-wheels/

I think all buggy wheels are the same offset / diameter etc from what I've heard.

Thanks, I ended up going down a different route. 1 set of Mini Spikes and a set of one race old mini blocks for £20 posted, both pre-mounted. Happy with that.

On 2/4/2016 at 10:16 PM, pug=309 said:

Thanks

Allan

Hot bodies engine mount doesn't look like it will work.

Just an idea. If you have the skills/confidence you could use angle grinder or such on the top part of trophy engine mount where engine itself bolts onto and gradually cut some off to make the mount lower which will bring engine closer to chassis and bring flywheel closer to starter box wheel. Could work and be cheaper than trying different flywheels. (unless you wreck it)!

Edited by dazp1976

Just got my Savage 4.6 engine today to put in my buggy. Savage flywheel is thinner than Trophy and Hot bodies one. Comes up a bit short on spur gear, clutch bell only just reaches ergo Savage flywheel doesn't really fit with Trophy and would need to shim clutch shoes and everything to make it fit correctly or put a thick shim on crankshaft before you put the flywheel on. I was under the assumption that the Savage one was fine?, not!!!!

10 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Thanks, I ended up going down a different route. 1 set of Mini Spikes and a set of one race old mini blocks for £20 posted, both pre-mounted. Happy with that.

Can get some good quality wheels at low prices for buggies :) 

Also nanda blocks are a good substitute for badlands and are half the price. One of the reasons I'm switching from a Truggy for a bit.

Edited by dazp1976

9 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Hot bodies engine mount doesn't look like it will work.

Just an idea. If you have the skills/confidence you could use angle grinder or such on the top part of trophy engine mount where engine itself bolts onto and gradually cut some off to make the mount lower which will bring engine closer to chassis and bring flywheel closer to starter box wheel. Could work and be cheaper than trying different flywheels. (unless you wreck it)!

Why do yiu think the hit bodies mount wont work? Its listed as an optional part for my gt.

My hands aint what they use to be, took me literally 20 mins to put the 4 front diff to chassis screws in as my whole hand and arm kept locking, so doing that kind of work is aff the table atm, though i noticed that i gave a couple spacers between the mount and the block (though cant remember why), if i can lose them it should help a wee bitty

I thought i had an answer flywheel on but just remembered that it was too small so dug out the biggest 3 shoe flywheel i had, so ill need to get it off and measure it.

Thanks for the offer of the engine mount set but i already have a couple sets of those mounts, just didnt know the screw sizes, the ones i have on the truck atm are just a bunch of randoms from my screw box, so thanks for those sizes

I have always wondered if there was a quick release mount like the one in your link that would work on the lightning/trophy series nitros, would make clutch adjustments a whole lot more quicker

If your still on the lookout for cheaper stronger cvds for the truggy, i might have something thats right down your alley, ill send you a pm

Allan

8 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Can get some good quality wheels at low prices for buggies :) 

Also nanda blocks are a good substitute for badlands and are half the price. One of the reasons I'm switching from a Truggy for a bit.

I read that the foams in Nanda blocks fall apart at the first sign of water. I run my buggy in all weather so that would be no good for me. Shame because I've only heard good things about the tyres themselves.

2 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

I read that the foams in Nanda blocks fall apart at the first sign of water. I run my buggy in all weather so that would be no good for me. Shame because I've only heard good things about the tyres themselves.

Oh. That I didn't know :( Could boil them off, change the foams & re-glue but kind of defeats the purpose really. Mind you that still might come in at 50% of the cost of Badlands & wheels!!

3 hours ago, pug=309 said:

Why do yiu think the hit bodies mount wont work? Its listed as an optional part for my gt.

My hands aint what they use to be, took me literally 20 mins to put the 4 front diff to chassis screws in as my whole hand and arm kept locking, so doing that kind of work is aff the table atm, though i noticed that i gave a couple spacers between the mount and the block (though cant remember why), if i can lose them it should help a wee bitty

I thought i had an answer flywheel on but just remembered that it was too small so dug out the biggest 3 shoe flywheel i had, so ill need to get it off and measure it.

Thanks for the offer of the engine mount set but i already have a couple sets of those mounts, just didnt know the screw sizes, the ones i have on the truck atm are just a bunch of randoms from my screw box, so thanks for those sizes

I have always wondered if there was a quick release mount like the one in your link that would work on the lightning/trophy series nitros, would make clutch adjustments a whole lot more quicker

If your still on the lookout for cheaper stronger cvds for the truggy, i might have something thats right down your alley, ill send you a pm

Allan

With the Hot bodies one it looks like you'd still have to fit it to the thin purple or orange base parts that screw to chassis so that would give you no height advantage so defeats the purpose. Only good for quick change options and still too high for starter box. If spacers removed still don't help I would go down the route of machining down the silver blocks myself that the engine mounts to that way 1. it's cheaper option. 2. You can customize the height. 3. answer flywheel will be usable, no wasted cash :).

Interested to see the cvd's you've found.

I'm just trying to mount my engine to the HB type engine mount but guess what! it won't go!! The bolts at the back where the pullstart fits stick out too far so the rear piece of engine mount is in the way :(  I have roto start fitted to it which must be slightly thicker and sticks out more grrrrrr! might have to take that piece of metal off the mount :( 

67366_67366_01p_314_235.jpg

Metal cross bar at the rear.

21 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Oh. That I didn't know :( Could boil them off, change the foams & re-glue but kind of defeats the purpose really. Mind you that still might come in at 50% of the cost of Badlands & wheels!!

I've just priced it up and actually the Nanda blocks don't work out much cheaper once you factor in foams. Fastrax seem to be the cheapest decent foams available on Modelsport at £7.78 per set of 4. The wheels & tyres come in at £22, add postage to that and you're not far off the real thing.

24 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Bit late now but I just want to double check these oils will be suitable, or at least a good starting point.

8,000fr-60,000-10,000r

Should be fine for buggy bashing :) Find out soon enough. More or less what I run in the Truggy 10f 50c 7r. Wouldn't go any higher f + r (doughnut spins, doesn't steer)

Vorza Flux uses 5f 100c 5r so near enough.

Edited by dazp1976

I've now switched to petrol and the trophy truggy has been left hanging on the wall taking a break probably until the summer as the car not running properly was driving me insane.

20160131_165446_zpsqhzlgtgz.jpg20160131_165213_zpsvp4ncsvj.jpg

Here is my new beast :D and she is amazing.

@dazp1976 thanks for the advice on diff oils, I couldn't be happier with the result! It puts the power down so much better :)

So, for my next question ;) I've fitted some mini spikes and the grip they give on wet grass is insane. My suspension is set up for max ground clearance which was fine when my tyres were bold, however, it rolls/flips badly, even in very slow corners. Is there a good, basic suspension set up I could try?