• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

F1 2017

Voicon

Hi All 

Thought I'd create a new thread for this year's F1, I know a few on here are interested :)

So last night we saw the takeover of F1 by Liberty Media, personally I'm worried but hopeful they can increase the sports popularity which has dwindled for some years now. Bringing back Ross Brawn looks like a great shout, when he was a team boss he was level headed and very successful so hopefully he can bring this in to his MD role.

I want to see the teams have less say in what happens to the sport and it's rules, it makes no sense that only the front running teams can decide what happens to the sport.

Thoughts?

It's can only get better now Bernie has been sidelined.  Him and his ideas have made F1 unwatchable in th last 5-6 years. All the time it was a venture to make him money at the expense of something fun to watch. It will never return to what it was like in the 80s due to the sponsors, but we can hope they'll reintroduce things like overtaking and remove all driver aids. 

5 minutes ago, mond said:

It's can only get better now Bernie has been sidelined.  Him and his ideas have made F1 unwatchable in th last 5-6 years. All the time it was a venture to make him money at the expense of something fun to watch. It will never return to what it was like in the 80s due to the sponsors, but we can hope they'll reintroduce things like overtaking and remove all driver aids. 

1 hour ago, .AJ. said:

I just happy the corrupt dinosaur that is Bernie has finally gone!

5 minutes ago, mond said:

I agree with Bernie gone, it is a shame they don't go back to V10 engines and basic aerodynamics so cars can follow each other. 

Make them a basic chassis, wings, big powerful engine, and many of the 'teams' will walk away.

It's got to be interesting - for spectators and investors.

F1 has been a source of many a major innovation over the many years, not just recently, so they have to search ways of maintaining the drama, keeping it competitive and making it interesting for everyone.

Many say it's been too biased to the top teams, and the minnows perish too easily without support - more relative equality is required.

Personally I love seeing records go, in any sport, so having fastest laps from 2004 is pretty sad - that's all supposed to change this year with cars a 'minimum of 5" / lap faster' - that'll be amazing in itself with most speed being gained 'in the corners' - some are saying 40 km/h faster THROUGH the corners!!

Can't wait.

Boat-bum will certainly give Lewis a run for his money - reckon he's quite a talent, so well selected albeit in a limited availability field by Mercedes.

Al.

• Like 1

Making them faster may not help with overtaking, it's all relative.

The reason teams have and are falling by the wayside is the amount of money it costs to be in F1, the engines are too expensive due to the complexity and if they want to be competitive they have to spend millions on aerodynamics/parts constantly or you get left behind.

I am hoping these changes will make it more exciting but I'm not holding my breath.

WRC is where it's at for me this year, the series also had a technical regs makeover for this year, the cars certainly look the part - like modern day group b machines - and with a power increase to 380(ish) bhp and active centre diffs.

Me too Carp. I'm excited for the new season. The rule changes are going to make it interesting and I think a few of the 'lesser' teams have been developing the car ready for this change and 2016 was a write off in their eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I'm glad that Bernie has departed from the sport, let's all remember that F1 certainly wouldn't be where it is now without Bernie.

I'm quite optimistic for the new season and hope that things will start to improve because last season was rubbish.  

The addition of Ross Brawn back into the F1 world will also assist.

If they want more over taking and the drivers pushing the cars then make every race a minimum of 3 stops. This will mix up the strategies and stop people doing a 1 stop race. Also make it 2 seconds for DRS so cars have a better chance to catch up.

Bernie had to go, he was too old school any all he wanted was money money money. The biggest nail in the coffin was sky f1, I'm not paying £300 a year to watch f1 on a channel that has adverts. C4 did a very good job this year, I'd be happy to have adverts on the side of the screen during part of the race. A lot of american channels do this and I think it works well.

It would be nice if we could see a Brawn 09 season from one of the back marker teams (force India, Williams or Renault) or a 2012 where we have seven different winners in the first 7 races then a good fight to the end from a few different teams, as long as it's not Redbull or Mercedes. 

18 minutes ago, locky said:

DRS is artifical, get rid. Brawn 09 wasnt a Leicester, Honda invested loads and developed the diffuser.

The mid size teams have the ability to develop and even match the top three teams if they get it right. 

Just now, locky said:

They dont have funds for sufficient wind tunnel or CFD. Ability possibly but funds need to be redistributed equitably. Ferrari get the most dosh but dont produce the best. 

Ferrari need to get it right this year, almost 10 years without a WDC WCC title.

On 1/29/2017 at 18:35, atom3624 said:

Wonder if the new management will still save them???

Al.

I don't think so..

What is Bernie going to do now, invest in a team, start a new formula? I don't think its the last we've seen of him.

10 hours ago, atom3624 said:

There's already a rumour:

1. Bernie's going to start a rival formula series.

2. Nico R is going to Formula E.

Both are (vaguely) possible!!

Al.

I read the same thing, Liberty Media aren't stupid I'm sure there was a clause in the contract to say Bernie can't set up a rival formula, there also isn't room financially for two formula 1 type championships.

11 hours ago, atom3624 said:

There's already a rumour:

1. Bernie's going to start a rival formula series.

2. Nico R is going to Formula E.

Both are (vaguely) possible!!

Al.

No2 is totally plausible I guess.

No1 not so - he couldn't attract new teams or manufacturers to the current series so unlikely to attract them to a rival one.