• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

lots of smoke but good performance (is it tuned right)

newnitroer

Got a big problem now which has some how happen over night...

My pull start is no longer working. Pulling it does nothing I just pull and the pull starter just spins and is very lose and it will not turn the engine over at all its as if the pull starter is not connected to the engine and is just spinning I took the pull start off and the plate behind it which reveals the bottom of the piston and I can not see any problems so what has caused this sudden problems the car was only out on Saturday and was fine all day this has only happened since the car has been sitting in the bag. It also makes not difference with the engine on the car or off the car.

Not had that problem with a pull start but I did with a rotor start. On mine it was the one way bearing that had broken so had to replace that. Yours could just be slipping so could be worth cleaning the inside of the one way bearing and the rod that sticks out of the back of the engine. Sorry not sure what that's called. I have also read that pull starts can be a bit of a pain to get off incase the insides spring out so be carful. Would hate for you to break it more because of my advise. 

Hope this helps, tho new to nitro my self so most of this is what I have learnt from reading not from experience. 

The best thing for nitro cars is patience, as suggested by previous replies if it's ruining well with some smoke and it's not bogging down then just enjoy playing with it while it lasts haha. most nitro cars will need a little tweeking from day to day as different weather conditions mean the ambient air could be thinner or heavier on humid days meaning they may need leaning or richening up a little in accordance. Most bashers find a happy medium and that'll do kinda thing where as racers need peak performance for each race.

I have a savage x with a 5.9 lump in it and a lot of people say they're hard work, but once id sorted any little issues out it's ran like a trooper for months now without feeling the need to re tune it and I've been out through summer and winter all the same.

Sounds like the one way bearing has gone as that is what grips the backplate shaft and turns your engine over, take it out and have a look to see if its cracked, if not then you can either replace with a new one or try and clean the gunk from that with cotton buds and put it back on the shaft and see if it grips. If it does then winner, if not then it's a new one I'm afraid. I've been through quite a few too....

Rustypeb89 you 2 late after I made that post last night I decided to have a play around and guess what the spring come out so sadly you warning came 2 late but oh I now learned something new and it wont happen again I will just by new one as well as a new one way bearing its not 2 expensive anyway and pay day is only in 2 weeks.

Stevo2551 very well put and I have now taken that advice on board and the car is now tuned to correctly (for my needs anyway) just a shame I went and broke the pull starter but I'm not bothered about it because you have to learn somehow and if that means breaking things every now and then just to learn how to do it correctly next time then that's its it is and I don't mind that.

Guns the one way bearing has never been replaced and the came with a pull start so I never did switch