• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Noob alert.....quick LiPo question

TheDriver

Being rather new to the hobby I assumed a lot of the connectors would be of a standard type. Batteries for example. Of course all batteries have the same connector for both charging and using in the vehicle, I thought. So now realising thats not the case can someone explain what the normal course of action is?

Would I only purchase a battery with the connector I need.

Would I purchase the best deal and cut the connector off and solder on the right one for my car.

Or make up (or purchase) adapters..like these https://hobbyking.com/en_us/female-traxxas-compatible-gt-male-xt60-3pcs-bag.html

Thanks guys.

1 minute ago, TheDriver said:

Being rather new to the hobby I assumed a lot of the connectors would be of a standard type. Batteries for example. Of course all batteries have the same connector for both charging and using in the vehicle, I thought. So now realising thats not the case can someone explain what the normal course of action is?

Would I only purchase a battery with the connector I need.

Would I purchase the best deal and cut the connector off and solder on the right one for my car.

Or make up (or purchase) adapters..like these https://hobbyking.com/en_us/female-traxxas-compatible-gt-male-xt60-3pcs-bag.html

Thanks guys.

Ppurchase the best deal and cut the connector off and solder on the right one for my car.

This ^

The best approach is bullet connectors across the board.  This gives younthe option to run 2/3/4/5s from a selection of 2s and 3s LiPos.  You'll want to run 8mm castle bullets on larger 4s and above packs, particularly in largesacsle 8s applications.

bullets are however, the single easiest way to mis connect cells, so always think twice and connect once. 

• Like 1

ok...im going xt60.

Im not used to using heat shrink or such large gauge wires. Im used to surface mount components soldering.

So will a 25W iron be man enough?

And what size heat shrink, hobbyking has 10mm, what does that mean exactly?

ok...im going xt60.

Im not used to using heat shrink or such large gauge wires. Im used to surface mount components soldering.

27 minutes ago, TheDriver said:

ok...im going xt60.

so...10mm shrink....means it`ll roughly half in diameter once its heated...so 5mm `ish.....for xt60`s I`d go with 7-8mm shrink....:good:.25wattts.:huh:...may b ok.....I use a 100watt one for the bigger wires and a 30 or 35 one for the thinner stuff...:yes:...so 25 may work.....

Edited by evssv

I recommend going with the Amass XT60 connectors. Not the cheapest but worth every penny I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pairs-New-Amass-XT60-Plug-Connector-With-Sheath-Housing-Male-Female-RC-/282306447828?hash=item41bac689d4:g:NVMAAOSw241YYaOV

Excellent quality with a better more heat resistant grade of plastic used and seem easier to plug and unplug. Best thing though is the moulded parts that snap over the soldered ends of the connectors. Makes it easier to grip the connectors when pulling apart as well.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1