• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Grub screw loosening

RoadRunner10

Hi

My FTX vantage keeps loosing its front wheel drive because the rear grub screw on the main drive shaft keeps coming loose. I have took this off recently to replace the spur gear and put it all back together guessing the grub screw position on the drive shaft (see pic). but it keeps coming loose. Does the screw have to be in a certain locking position  or something as I just keep tightening  it up Willy nilly on the shaft . Suppose i really need to use loctite here to.

Also What's best way to secure esc? As sticky pads keep coming away.

Thanks for help anyone!!

2017-01-22 20.52.26.jpg

Edited by RoadRunner10

1 minute ago, RoadRunner10 said:

Hi

My FTX vantage keeps loosing its front wheel drive because the rear grub screw on the main drivevshaft keeps coming loose. I have took this off recently to replace the spur gear and put it all back together guessing the grub screw position on the drive shaft. but it keeps coming loose. Does the screw have to be in a certain locking position  or something as I just keep tightening  it up Willy nilly on the shaft . Suppose i really need to use loctite here to.

What's best way to secure esc? As sticky pads keep coming away.

Thanks for help anyone!!

Normally there is a flat bit on the shaft you're trying to connect onto, that's where the grub screw needs to sit. Yeah it really helps to loctite them all down. Just the blue stuff though, forget about using the red stuff unless you have a blow torch and a drill on hand. 

I've always used 3M sticky pads and made sure both surfaces are very clean and slightly scuffed up to get optimal adhesion 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RoadRunner10 said:

Hi

My FTX vantage keeps loosing its front wheel drive because the rear grub screw on the main drive shaft keeps coming loose. I have took this off recently to replace the spur gear and put it all back together guessing the grub screw position on the drive shaft. but it keeps coming loose. Does the screw have to be in a certain locking position  or something as I just keep tightening  it up Willy nilly on the shaft . Suppose i really need to use loctite here to.

What's best way to secure esc? As sticky pads keep coming away.

Thanks for help anyone!!

Hi,

yes there should be a flat spot on the chassis.  Blue loctite is needed too as metal to metal parts like this will vibrate loose.

Double sided servo tape, good stuff, won't come off.

1 hour ago, RoadRunner10 said:

Hey thanks guys I'll take another look for this flat spot on shaft. ?

I used the sticky pads modelsport gave me andvensured was all clean but we're rubbish. I'll get some 3m pads. 

+1 for the servo tape or the double sided foam stuff from a craft shop.

2 hours ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

It can help to flatten the end of the grub screw, so as there is more contact area between it and the shaft.

.... and / or put a little 'dimple' in the optimum position on the flat of the shaft. That can help as well.

Al.