• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dragon hammer v2

pringles

Like the look of these things and keep thinking of getting one but everytime I hoover over the buy now button I keep thinking of the nearly a £1000 for a roller,just don't know if there worth that kinda money I mean I can get a rtr losi 5 for that,would like some opinions,do you think there worth that kind of money?

Damn i thought they was gonna be the cheap option against losi 5t rtr or kraken. 

Now im wondering if the kraken is the cheaper optoon of rear axle 5ths. 

I had 800ish in my head with servos inc. 

£1200 rtr for kraken. 

i must be way out tho. 

Yeah kinda the same thing I think about it,just about got the money for it, already got an engine I can stick in it [only a cy27cc though,which might struggle a bit] but would have to save up a bit for two servos,receiver and receiver battery,clutch and kill switch lol.Just don't get why its so expensive for a roller!!,but would love something different and this fits the bill but know if I got it I would get that I've just been ripped off feeling when it arrives lol

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, spents said:

not sure why all the negativity on the dragon hammer,

yes they have flaws , but what doesn't ?

what no one has said is there is a huge difference between the v1 and v2,

fid have listened to feedback and modified some of the weaker areas on the v2,

yes the v1 was tippy, but the truck has a high centre of gravity so its bound to be more unstable,

on the v2 fid have changed the tyres ( new design , not square edged any more so less dig in  ),

the v2 is also wider than the v1,

the v1 was £750, the v2 is just under a grand and has a lot more upgrades than the v1,

so in my view its very good value for money ,

all v2 upgrades will bolt straight onto the v1,

quality of build is spot on as well,

yes I do own a v1 and some of you on here already know me and know that i'm building a one off dragon hammer at the moment,

when all said and done all that's needed is a change in driving style , different platform equals different style of driving,

as for the rtr vekta, well once vat and import/ delivery are added to get the thing over here, then its close on 2 grand,

just adding an opinion :D

Good post.  I do however think you're missing the point a little.  The problem with the dragon hammer is not the car itself, indeed given a choice of a Baja or a Dragon Hammer, I'd be spending my money on the latter.. the issue the DH has is the Losi 5ive exists and there is no way that a DH stacks up against this competition, irrespective of its being a V1 or V2!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mond said:

I don't get it either. People will happily pay for an 800 quid lump of grey plastic that set itself on fire when it's not blowing it's diffs but complain about a proper 5th scale which is a new design and largely CNC machined 6061 or 7075 aluminium which is 200 quid more than the dodgy, fiery, exploding plastic thing.

That's an incorrect comparison to make though, two totally different vehicles, aimed at totally different people.

Tbh, I'd have neither, just because I don't like them and the Losi 5ive is simply better, and most likely always will be.

• Like 1

My reason for not liking the DH or Vekta (that said i do admire the Vekta for the quality of the cnc work) is this: if you look at other smaller scale rigs as well as 1:1 Ultra4 trucks with the same suspension set ups, they have the ability to crawl up rocks and rough terrain.

The suspension will allow them to do this, but the power sources available for large scale rigs just aren't capable of controllable crawling speeds without two speed transmissions - which neither have - kind of defeats the point of having a live rear axle with all that travel for crawling and not being able to. 

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

That's an incorrect comparison to make though, two totally different vehicles, aimed at totally different people.

Tbh, I'd have neither, just because I don't like them and the Losi 5ive is simply better, and most likely always will be.

You only have one RC in your collection? Do you only buy one type of RC? :) If I didn't recently invest in a BL DBXL I'd be up for the DHv2. It's different from every Baja or 5ive. I'm bashing, so stability and lap times means nothing. It's like the Yeti XL. It's a pain, a money pit but nothing else drives quite like it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mond said:

You only have one RC in your collection? Do you only buy one type of RC? :) If I didn't recently invest in a BL DBXL I'd be up for the DHv2. It's different from every Baja or 5ive. I'm bashing, so stability and lap times means nothing. It's like the Yeti XL. It's a pain, a money pit but nothing else drives quite like it. 

Why does the size of a collection matter?

Someone could have 20 different RCs and no MTs or no petrols, or whatever... Just because they don't only have one RC, doesn't mean they don't like every other type :lol:

It's a matter of opinion.

Our opinions differ.

I feel it also comes down to looks, I don't like how they look, I don't like the cheap looking red anodising either.

Personal taste :)

You mentioned about it being different and aimed at different people. I don't really believe it was aimed at anything more than someone looking for something different in the 5th scale market, rather than any individual. I don't think anyone spending that kind of cash on an RC is limited to one type of car or another. The losi 5ive is great, but it's a pan chassis buggy with an SC cage on it, the Kraken and DH is different - it's a true short course/trophy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carpmart said:

Good post.  I do however think you're missing the point a little.  The problem with the dragon hammer is not the car itself, indeed given a choice of a Baja or a Dragon Hammer, I'd be spending my money on the latter.. the issue the DH has is the Losi 5ive exists and there is no way that a DH stacks up against this competition, irrespective of its being a V1 or V2!

thanks for that mate,

when i first read this thread i got the impression that it was heading towards a hate the DH type of thing,

i was just trying to give some info on the changes to the v2 from the v1 ,

yes everyones different and has different preferences , i own a baja , a shorty roofchopper sand rail, and old fg stadium and a few other bits n bobs of smaller scale,

i think the point i'm trying to get over is the DH is a different platform to a Losi 5ive or anything else on the market at the moment,

so if anybody sets there heart on  a DH then don't buy a Losi 5ive or a dbxl or any other platform,

same as if you have your heart set on a Losi 5ive or a dbxl or a baja, get one,

all 1/5 scales handle different and have there pro's and cons,

buy it, modify it, enjoy it and have a blast :D

8 hours ago, mond said:

You mentioned about it being different and aimed at different people. I don't really believe it was aimed at anything more than someone looking for something different in the 5th scale market, rather than any individual. I don't think anyone spending that kind of cash on an RC is limited to one type of car or another. The losi 5ive is great, but it's a pan chassis buggy with an SC cage on it, the Kraken and DH is different - it's a true short course/trophy.

Agree completely, we need diversity and new cars coming to the market!  

1 hour ago, spents said:

thanks for that mate,

when i first read this thread i got the impression that it was heading towards a hate the DH type of thing,

i was just trying to give some info on the changes to the v2 from the v1 ,

yes everyones different and has different preferences , i own a baja , a shorty roofchopper sand rail, and old fg stadium and a few other bits n bobs of smaller scale,

i think the point i'm trying to get over is the DH is a different platform to a Losi 5ive or anything else on the market at the moment,

so if anybody sets there heart on  a DH then don't buy a Losi 5ive or a dbxl or any other platform,

same as if you have your heart set on a Losi 5ive or a dbxl or a baja, get one,

all 1/5 scales handle different and have there pro's and cons,

buy it, modify it, enjoy it and have a blast :D

I'm delighted new cars are being designed and sold.  The problem to my mind is that they are designed with aesthetics as the number one priority, big live axles etc (look amazing) and not performance. This live axle technology is as old as the hills and compared to independent rear suspension of a Losi, well you see my point!  I want performance not just aesthetics. As I've said, if the Losi didn't exist, I'd be all over this and a Kraken, but unfortunately for FID, the 5ive is King! 

13 hours ago, Carpmart said:

Agree completely, we need diversity and new cars coming to the market!  

I'm delighted new cars are being designed and sold.  The problem to my mind is that they are designed with aesthetics as the number one priority, big live axles etc (look amazing) and not performance. This live axle technology is as old as the hills and compared to independent rear suspension of a Losi, well you see my point!  I want performance not just aesthetics. As I've said, if the Losi didn't exist, I'd be all over this and a Kraken, but unfortunately for FID, the 5ive is King! 

agreed 100% , new cars are always welcome , and I agree that the live axle technology is as old as the hills,

but one thing about the DH is that its not just a run of the mill leaf spring live axle, its a 4 link rear end with masses of suspension travel,

long coil overs so anyone that wants a car to jump with, the DH is an ideal, car,

lots of articulation as well, so they do handle rough terrain very very well,

not sure if this will work, but will try and post a pic

hammer_build_006.jpgimage hosting free no registration

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spents said:

agreed 100% , new cars are always welcome , and I agree that the live axle technology is as old as the hills,

but one thing about the DH is that its not just a run of the mill leaf spring live axle, its a 4 link rear end with masses of suspension travel,

long coil overs so anyone that wants a car to jump with, the DH is an ideal, car,

lots of articulation as well, so they do handle rough terrain very very well,

not sure if this will work, but will try and post a pic

hammer_build_006.jpgimage hosting free no registration

Nice :) what I don't get is if independent suspension performs better why are the full size "trophy trucks and "short course trucks" still running solid rear ends?....also does your hammer still filp over easily with those tyres...or do different tyres make no difference and its something else causing them to keep flipping

Edited by pringles

47 minutes ago, pringles said:

Nice :) what I don't get is if independent suspension performs better why are the full size "trophy trucks and "short course trucks" still running solid rear ends?....also does your hammer still filp over easily with those tyres...or do different tyres make no difference and its something else causing them to keep flipping

well the main reason for solid rear ends on trophy trucks is travel i'd say mate, solid rear axle you can get a very long travel with less problems ,

independent suspension and very long travel makes it harder to keep the geometry correct, toe in, toe out etc,

as for the tyres, yes its a lot less tippy with the mxt' tyres on there,

but mine is a v1, the v2 is wider out of the box,

the cause of the flipping on the v1,is a combination of the stock v1 tyres, the width and the higher centre of gravity,

mine is in bits at the moment and is getting re worked, home made wheel spacers, bigger engine and a few other things,

and as for independent suspension, well theres nothing at all wrong with it, its brilliant, but on something like the dragon hammer it would cause issues,

• Like 1

The reason trophy trucks run long travel four link rear suspensions is to maintain traction by reducing the distance between the tyres and ground while jumping - gravel spec WRC machines use the same theory, but use fully independent suspension to the same effect - the same applies to both suspension types in rc cars to a certain level 

• Like 1