• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which car to buy and from where?

xaote

Hi guys, I've always had RC cars on and off, electric and nitro, so I would class myself pretty experienced.

So, question is, I have £200 to buy everything I need. I'm looking for an off road buggy (or truck?) with a brushless motor, I was assuming 4WD would be best but reading diff posts here, most racing is done with 2WD or have I picked that up wrong? I don't plan to race but there is an indoor track close by, so its not an impossibility.....but again, it won't be taken seriously, :boredlook: 

I have looked at so many diff websites for reviews and advice but it is mind boggling. I was swaying towards the "FTX Vantage 1/10 4WD Brushless Buggy", on sale for £180 at "modelsport". https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=40388

But if this will exclude me from racing because it is 4WD its obviously no good. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Jim

You won't be excluded from racing with a 4wd - its just that 2wd is more popular. Depending on how the club runs, it might even be an advantage.

Larger clubs tend to run separate 2wd and 4wd classes, in which case there are normally 2-3 times more 2wds. Also 4wd, which is more expensive at the top end, and faster tends to have less beginners so you'd get closer competition in 2wd. 

Smaller clubs often just run everything together, in which case having a 4wd car gives you an edge. Either way you'll get to race - clubs don't last long if they turn people away!

Besides, if you are only 'considering' racing, a 4wd makes a better basher than a competitive 2wd does.

• Like 1

Great advice guys thanks. I found the club have a facebook page and as u suspected, they run both 2wd and 4wd classes and they seem to be equally popular. 

I hear the term 'basher' a lot, is that just a term for just ripping around having a bit of craic? If so, I guess most of the time that's what I'll be doing. Will the FTX Vantage fit the bill?

I have a Quanam Vandal ( Rebrand of the FTX Vantage and half the price pretty much ) but all my spares come from ModelSport for the FTX and, I find its a brill all rounder. I use it for bashing around, racing at my club track ( out door ) and I swap the wheels to race at our indoor track also. Can't fault it at all. Parts are cheap and I've not broke much on it.

Although, does look amusing as a indoor setup.

f7ad06ab6150bdff4b378830bfc38938.jpg

And looks badass in black and yellowy/green. [emoji14]

9101de99798664c5167b5d0b9590b1ee.jpg
Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cheers Nic, that's good to know. You are right, that does look superb. I see they are very popular over the pond and it gets great reviews. I can't seem to find a UK seller thou. More importantly, it is pretty much the same. 

I was chatting to a guy at MS and he also recommended the similar Carnage truggie, stating it tends to break less parts? I see the body work does cover the shocks etc but surely this would make it slightly more top heavy? It also seems to have less suspension travel compared to the Vantage judging by pictures.

The Carnage might cause a few problems racing, its tends to be mostly buggys. Some clubs will let you use them, some won't. 

It is however a better basher than the Vantage - Its taller, has wider suspension arms and therefore effectively more travel. Yes the CoG is higher, but being wider means it no less stable. The result is it handles rough terrain better than the buggy version. Thats also why most clubs won't let you race them - they are quite capable of driving over track markers and even other cars!

My breakdown would be:

Pure racing - 2wd buggy

Mixed racing and bashing - Vantage

Just bashing - Carnage.  

• Like 1

Thanks Si, I appreciate the advice. I have done so much research this weekend it is ridiculous (I am very ocd lol). I also looked at the Acme Bullet but reviews say it isn't as well built and it can be difficult finding parts for.

I think I will order the Vantage on Monday, as u and Nic have said it is much more flexible.

I appreciate I will need to buy a decent charger in the near future but are there any spare parts or other essentials I should be ordering on Monday? I have all tools.

Thanks again for all help and advice.

Front wishbones, and possibly spur gears

That goes for pretty much any car really - those are the parts that tend to go the most. You might want to look into a steering servo pretty soon too as the standard ones on most RTR's don't last long. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Si Coe said:

Front wishbones, and possibly spur gears

That goes for pretty much any car really - those are the parts that tend to go the most. You might want to look into a steering servo pretty soon too as the standard ones on most RTR's don't last long. 

And replace those horrid flat head wood screws in the front bumper with the. proper ones ;)

Haha, I hadn't noticed that either!! Cheers Guns.

I'll get those spares ordered this week, thanks Si.

I also need an additional battery, can anyone recommend a decent one? I also need a charger that isn't ridiculous money

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

seems a good deal but never noticed the wood screws till Guns mentioned it :D 

Wheels are on wrong too... one wide rear at the front, and one on the rear, very odd..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ostewart said:

Wheels are on wrong too... one wide rear at the front, and one on the rear, very odd..

never noticed that either, got a bad habit of skimming through quickly lol

Just switch the wheels back round (not a problem) id imagine the wood screws are in for a reason, id buess the bumper mounts are threaded hence why he has put thicker wood scres in. May need a new bumper mount for the fresh screws to work properly, but its not a major concern that needs rectofying immediatley, it would just concern me slightly that theres some poor maintainance in its appeared brief useage. Sure all will be fine however. 

• Like 2

Got the car, wasn't quite 'used a handful of times' as stated in ad, but it is in superb condition, I did manage to get another £30 off the because I questioned his condition description, so for £100, I think I did ok. The front bumper bodge wasn't as bad as it looked and was easily sorted out.

I ran the car today for the 1st time, I used the new 7.4v 2s battery I bought, first thought....electric motors have moved on a bit!!

After half hour I plugged in the 11.1v,  3s, second thought....damn I've got old, my reactions couldn't keep up lol. Mental fast!! I could hardly keep it in a straight line going down the road never mind getting that thing round a course/track of some sort! Superb craic!!

3s = hooning only methinks!!

Cheers for everyone's help and advice.

• Like 2