• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Nero 6s or Outcast 6s?

m4inbrain

Hey,

looking for people who owned either one of them, and personal opinions. Will be my first "properly expensive" RC, and i can't really decide between the Outcast and the Nero (the normal ones with Diffbrain, not Big Rock). So far i "know" that the Outcast is lighter, including all the ups and downs that come with it (better acceleration, turning, braking), and that the Outcast is considerably easier to wrench on. I'd be curious in regards to first hand experience with the diff brains though.

Main reason for asking is that, by the looks of it, there's considerable reliability/toughness problems with the Nero? Which kind of is a deal breaker, since while i won't drive it like i stole it, it certainly is supposed to do "MT Stuff" - if the Shocks bend after the second bash, that's no good. 

What are the contenders in that price region, preferably also 6s out of the box without modifications? Standing backflips, things like that? I'm assuming the HPI Savage Flux?

Cheers mate, looks like the Outcast has some problems too. Well. That kinda sucks. I don't expect "bulletproof-ness" right out of the box, but if i fork £500 over the table, i'd like the RC to last at least a week or five. :(

Getting replacement parts (from the US) is all good and dandy, but i'd buy in the UK, and that customer service didn't seem too nice (and appears to be completely gone for the moment too). 

Any thoughts on the Nero/Diff brain? Any alternatives? Except things like the X-Maxx, can't afford that one.

Nah, should be 4wd and 1/8th. Losi LST XXL2-E seems interesting, i just don't like that AVC stuff. 

Generally i seem to lean to Arrma (until advised otherwise) - they seem to have decent components right out of the box in regards to ESC/Motor, and especially servo. The Kraton, well.. Honestly, that seems to be just a Talion with different tires. It looks very truggy-y, which isn't necessarily bad - but i just sold my truggy, i'd like something classical monster truck "shaped". That's why things like the Fazon (apart from the price, hehe) are pretty no-no for me. Just doesn't look right, maybe i'm just too old. 

The outcast is fine I just had a bit of bad luck to be honest parts are and will be thin on the ground as its new plus Arrma are in the middle of swapping over UK supplies  .. It's a solid little truck but not worth the UK price hit up eBay  euopre and save about £60 on it !  Honestly it's a good little basher and to be fair the isn't an RC on the planet that won't break or need a few personal tweaks to it 

If you don't like the truggy Buggy monster like the Kraton forget the Outcast altogher as it handles like a mix of both 

if you want a monster truck get the Hobao Hyper MT it's on special at Modelsport right now at £399 

Now if you really want to spend some cash and buy something nice get the Tekno MT410 ;) 

Or there's the savage XL due for release 

I'd forget the Nero to be honest it's a bit of a disappointment and if you think the outcast is weak then you will be very disappointed indeed ! 

• Like 1

Well, bent shock shafts and molten diffs, was it? I don't know how you used it, but from what i've seen, you didn't "overdo" it. Parts availability is an issue too, true. I'd generally buy from germany (got relatives and friends there, makes it easy). And no, obviously, i expect breakage. That's part of the hobby. It's just what breaks, and how/when it does. It's also not like i don't like truggies, or monster buggies (yeti XL, even though i didn't read much good about it), it's just that i have an SCT, and had a truggy - and i came to the conclusion that for what i'm driving on, which is mostly asphalt and gras, little in terms of big jumps, a classic MT offers the most "fun". Truggies on asphalt are just incredibly boring, from my experience. 

The Hyper MT looks kinda interesting, especially considering that when i was looking for a truggy 1 1/2 years ago, everyone recommended one. Looking at videos though, it'd need a wheelie bar, and the turning radius seems ridiculous (going by Aussie RC videos), and it has, as far as i can tell, bad stock wheels. The Tekno is "too much", apart from it being too expensive for me to bash (i have a wife, cough). 

The Savage XL though. Isn't that kind of a running gag for a while now? I've owned HPI before, i like the brand (and the parts availability). Is there any dates or something in regards to that?

Sidenote, i don't think the outcast is weak. It's just the impression i got after reading a couple of threads in regards to it. Never owned or even seen one in person, so it's hard to judge. :)

Any opinions on the Losi LST XXL2-E?

edit: there's also the fact that the Savage XL and the Losi are ridiculously huge (around 73cm?). Which is a plus for someone like me (even though i know about the downsides size/weight brings with it). 

Edited by m4inbrain

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

Nah, should be 4wd and 1/8th. Losi LST XXL2-E seems interesting, i just don't like that AVC stuff. 

The Kraton is 4WD and 1/8. Its not an MT though, very few cars labelled MTs are. Solid axles all the way.

Edited by mond

10 minutes ago, mond said:

The Kraton is 4WD and 1/8.

I know. The 4wd 1/8th part was meant for osteward who suggested 2wd and a proline truck. In regards to the Kraton, as i said, it seems to be a re-wheeled Talion, less a monster truck, more a truggy. Looks cool, but isn't what i'm looking for. The two contenders now pretty much are the Savage XL Flux once its released, and the Losi LST XXL2-E. Waiting for reviews on the Savage first though. 

edit: agreed, many cars labelled MT are actually (to me) much closer to a truggy with a wheeliebar than an actual MT. I do know the advantages of low center of gravity etc, but again, been there - a classic MT (is there "classic"?) to me is something like the Savage. Something resembling Monster Jam trucks. High, powerful, not necessary fast on a race track. Or.. Certainly not fast on a race track. But since i don't have one anyway here, meh.

Edited by m4inbrain

34 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I know. The 4wd 1/8th part was meant for osteward who suggested 2wd and a proline truck. In regards to the Kraton, as i said, it seems to be a re-wheeled Talion, less a monster truck, more a truggy. Looks cool, but isn't what i'm looking for. The two contenders now pretty much are the Savage XL Flux once its released, and the Losi LST XXL2-E. Waiting for reviews on the Savage first though. 

edit: agreed, many cars labelled MT are actually (to me) much closer to a truggy with a wheeliebar than an actual MT. I do know the advantages of low center of gravity etc, but again, been there - a classic MT (is there "classic"?) to me is something like the Savage. Something resembling Monster Jam trucks. High, powerful, not necessary fast on a race track. Or.. Certainly not fast on a race track. But since i don't have one anyway here, meh.

If you fancy a classic style MT look at the Kyosho Mad Force 2.0 VE. I dont know how durable it is tho.

Love the shell, but that little bit that i've read now, people are throwing a lot of Axial/Losi parts at it to make it work. Seems to be a very old design/layout with loads of plastic components. 

Looks the part though. 

Only went by owners comments on rcgroups and rctech. Also don't understand what you mean by "true 1/8th scale". What are eMaxx, Big Rock and consorts then? I get that the Losi might be a bit closer to 1/7th, but..?

Or do you mean scale in appearance?

If an eRevo brushless is out the question (its expensive and looks like a truggy, i love them but I can see why someone wouldnt recomend one). id go for the Losi. The only thing I didnt like on mine was the imperial screws (they may have changed it now), but just pick up a set of imperial drivers and your fine. I seem to remember cracking the alloy diff housing more than once, but sure i replaced it with an 'inferior' plastic case and it was spot on. This was when they first came out though.

My money would be:

1) Losi XXL-e

2) ERevo Brushless (needs the wing removing, a nitro rear bumper and a proper MT shell

3) Hyper MT (bargain imo)

Edited by Guns
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Only went by owners comments on rcgroups and rctech. Also don't understand what you mean by "true 1/8th scale". What are eMaxx, Big Rock and consorts then? I get that the Losi might be a bit closer to 1/7th, but..?

Or do you mean scale in appearance?

Solid axles. 

4 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Love the shell, but that little bit that i've read now, people are throwing a lot of Axial/Losi parts at it to make it work. Seems to be a very old design/layout with loads of plastic components. 

Looks the part though. 

Plus the koysho has 9 or 11 linkages  jus on the  steering  alone :doh:......way to many imo:yes:

Edited by evssv

1 hour ago, Guns said:

If an eRevo brushless is out the question (its expensive and looks like a truggy, i love them but I can see why someone wouldnt recomend one). id go for the Losi. The only thing I didnt like on mine was the imperial screws (they may have changed it now), but just pick up a set of imperial drivers and your fine. I seem to remember cracking the alloy diff housing more than once, but sure i replaced it with an 'inferior' plastic case and it was spot on. This was when they first came out though.

My money would be:

1) Losi XXL-e

2) ERevo Brushless (needs the wing removing, a nitro rear bumper and a proper MT shell

3) Hyper MT (bargain imo)

Cheers mate, i think that's spot on. Reading a bit more on it, it seems to still have imperial screws etc - but well. Traxxas, well.. I don't know. It's one of those brands that you either hate, or love. Every time i look through forums, i see them equally divided on Traxxas vehicles being either trash - or the best ones ever made. I just rather stay away from them (and i was considering a Slash 4x4 VXL), just in case i belong to the former group. 

Do you, by chance, know how the spare parts situation is for the Losi LST XXL2-E in the UK, or germany?

The Losi is growing on me by the minute, just think it looks cool and well, the size makes it rather impressive. It seems to be blistering quick for the size too (reason why i'm not even interested in the XMaxx, apart from price). Not sure what i think of these AVC shenanigans, especially since that'd prevent me from using my Sanwa MT-4, but apart from that it seems to do everything i'd want/need plus the bonus of the option of 6s. Doesn't seem to do standing backflips with wheelie bar attached though (like Outcast etc). :(

Edited by m4inbrain

I dont know about parts supply for the Losi but I buy the majority of my stuff from abroad anyway so Parts wouldnt be an issue for me. I know the Traxxas would have the best parts supply but all i can say is this. 

This was a few years back (ill look back through my photobucket for a date). At the time I had a lot of RCs. Mainly HPI and Traxxas. I had a Revo, at least two Emaxxs and a Savage and a few more. I bought an xxl e and an xxl nitro when it was cheap with the dx3s radio. I bought both the Losi's within a few months of each other and I just remember been genuinely extremely impressed by what i had got for my money with the Losi's. Now as I say this was a while back, but that impression has lasted, and If you said to me you can have any RC free of charge today, id get a Losi 8ight 4.0 E despite never going near a track...

• Like 1

Cheers, guess that's what i'm gonna do then. Except the radio selling stuff, i'll keep and use it - my wife can use the Sanwa and play with the trooper. According to what i've read, the Losi has some weak points which are relatively easy fixed - flimsy pins in the diff (sorted for £4 by buying HPI ones according to forums) - and the slipper. Haven't exactly figured out what's wrong and how to fix it, but it appears to be a problem for people mostly running 6s. Which i don't intend to do, 4s for the most part is fine.

31 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Cheers, guess that's what i'm gonna do then. Except the radio selling stuff, i'll keep and use it - my wife can use the Sanwa and play with the trooper. According to what i've read, the Losi has some weak points which are relatively easy fixed - flimsy pins in the diff (sorted for £4 by buying HPI ones according to forums) - and the slipper. Haven't exactly figured out what's wrong and how to fix it, but it appears to be a problem for people mostly running 6s. Which i don't intend to do, 4s for the most part is fine.

I usually buy a mild steel rod the right thickness off the bay and cut a load out from it for my stuff  :thumbsup: