• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HoBao Hyper ST Truggy Pro

I have emailed them and no reply yet, will try calling them tho. Thanks that was my guess might order it anyway to save time. I have been missing a couple of parts unless i find them at the end but they seem to be parts that should of been in the bags i have so seems odd that just they are missing. so far i'm missing 2 screws to hold the wing mount on, a shaft to hold a hub on and the air filter support. I do have loads of spares of other bits tho.

All put together now, will add some pics later. 

Trying to start the break in but can't get it started yet, I have reset the needles to factory settings they were miles off as it came, using the glow plug that came with it glows very brightly but also have some os no 8's if that would be better? New fuel, and just about to double check the idle is set to 1mm. Have also been pre heating the engine but what temp should I be pre heating it too? It is pretty cold here at the moment so guessing that isn't helping? 

Thanks 

edit  just read on the break in thread to start it with the receiver turned off and the throttle open slightly by hand so will try that next. 

Edited by Rustypeb89

As hot as you can get it, about 200F would be good to reduce stress on new parts. Loosen glow plug a bit as pinch will be tight on new engine, but tighten up once running. Increase idle rpm a bit using your Tx, have the wheels off the ground. Make sure you are getting fuel in the engine by watching fuel lines or squirt some fuel into the carb. Break it in carefully, move piston to BDC when cooling down. Down tune for performance immediately.

• Like 1

Ok it has started it seems to be idling fairly quickly and just turning the wheels slightly spluttering at times. I have set the trim on my tx to keep the throttle slightly open if I leave it closed it cuts out. Does this sound about right? 

First tank of fuel through it now. Have set the piston at the bottom and will let it cool for a few mins then will carry on with the break in. 

Edited by Rustypeb89

Keep blipping throttle to clear fuel out, sounds fine as should be rich settings to break in new engine, plenty residue coming out exhaust. Run a couple tanks at idle then try to run in it on ground, but low throttle. If it cuts out then lean a bit. Dont forget to tighten glow plug if loosened. Check glow plug condition, break in puts more stress on plug wire.

• Like 1

Ok so having some problems getting the engine tuned/running right. I started this morning practicing with the old buggy and got that tuned pretty well I think it had good smooth acceleration and a good top end with a good amount of blue smoke. 

So on the new engine I reset the high and low needles to the factory settings, checked the idle gap was 1mm checked the glow plug was working, heated the engine to 200f and started. It started fine then cut out right away so set the trim to open the throttle slightly and it started and idled fine. On to driving it was fine at low to mid speed with blue smoke then it would die off at higher speed with less smoke so started richening the high speed after richening it quite a lot from the factory setting it seemed to be ok and get to higher speeds but struggling a little lower and cut out. It wouldn't start easily after that until I reset the needles to the factory settings but then I had to start richening the high speed again to stop it struggling at higher speeds. 

Any ideas? I have had to give up for tonight as I can't see what I'm doing any more but will try again tomorrow. 

How many tanks you gone through? Remind what you call factory settings. HSN controls overall flow so will affect LSN performance. I will go and see what needle settings I have on my 3 LRPs. I dont think I bothered with factory settings and just went by ear, they are not always accurate. As long as you know difference in sound between rich and lean then you are half way there. Too cold for me today, zero for most of it and this will also alter tuning.

I think between 8-10 but have used just over quarter of a gallon of fuel. The settings are high and low speed at 3 and 3/4 full turns out from closed. Yeah think I get the difrence in the sound and what to look for just gets confusing when getting close but that should come with experience. just supprised it would be so far from the factory settings I think, so will not worry too much about them. Yeah did think the temp might be affecting it didn't get over 1c here. 

One question if you are richening the high speed to where it seems right but the car is boggy/stalls when at low speed do I need to richen or lean the low if ether or have I gone to rich on the high? Am thinking lean the low but not sure as that didn't seem to work just made it harder to start

Edited by Rustypeb89