• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

I temp tested the 550 brushed motor the other dat before i left and it was 100C+ at the gear end and 60C at the brush end

Just put it all together and made a school boy error, ive now got both ends running in opposite directions [emoji38][emoji23]

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

i also like a lot  the way it drives :) nothing broke so far only made some minor jumps with it, only changed the upper shocks position on the front.

the motor gets pretty hot the aluminium motor mount would help a bit, going brushless in the future but dont need it to go much faster than it goes stock.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2017 at 22:41, johninderby said:

Well I decided to take it apart for investigation when I got home (I hate it when something isn't right lol)

To my surprise, no melted tranny housing, no visible spur damage but.. the join between the upper & lower halves where the two screws either side of the rear output shaft are wasn't fully shut allowing a lot of bearing play.

so far I've re-fitted the two halves but I've tightened the two screws in question up first followed by the rest, there is zero play in the spur/shaft assembly & the bearings are snug, the spur spins perfectly true & my pinion/spur mesh feels spot on.

The slight smoke (yes, smoke !) which was coming from the tranny housing area when I picked it up is a mystery.

so, either:

1) There is a slight issue with the fit of the tranny halves if the screws aren't tightened in a certain order causing play, and maybe vibration (though the spur still looks as new ??)

2) The brand new motor I'm using is faulty & overheated ?

3) you can't use a 23t pinion with this combo ? (I haven't been able to find out if the brushless version uses this pinion)

I only ran the truck for about 10mins, none of it was hard on the motor, no speed runs lol.

I'll look into it further tomorrow...

I found when screwing the top half of the casing down that the bearings on either side of the spur gear have to be seated properly or the casing doesn't quite fit down properly. I tighten the screws either end first but not really tight then the rest in any order. Then tighten the end ones.

John

Looks ok to me, half a turnbuckle in there ?

Some development with mine. As explained, having not found a real obvious cause for the overheating motor, this afternoon I decided to look inside the motor resulting in no visible damage. So I decided to gear down. Luckily I'd already bought the alloy 17t motor mount so 'slotted' one screw hole in it to get the desired mesh & fitted it back together making sure the tranny housing was fully sealed as mentioned earlier.

I then took it & a charged 5000mah 2s lipo to our village hall gravel car park & drove a mixture of top speed, start/stop, crawling etc checking motor temps (by feel only) regularly. After at least 15mins all seems well :D Motor quite hot (I could touch it for about 3secs with rather cold fingers) Overall I'm pleased, though given it was only 3-4degs outside I'm not convinced it'll stay cool enough in the summer. Still a hoot to drive, lots of lean but very controllable.

Not much else I can do to decrease motor temps, 

1) Limited pinion options make it awkward to gear down much further

2) Already running zero punch & zero timing

I do feel I'm getting somewhere with it now, though it wouldn't have lasted long straight out of the box. Could be a disappointment for someone who doesn't plan on tinkering, luckily I love the tinkering (almost as much as driving the thing :lol:)

Edited by DanDare
  • Like 1

Is anyone using the 23t pinion ?

There's no doubt it was causing my 10.5 motor to overheat, the 17t pinion (as mentioned above) runs well & has good pick up & top end. IMO the 'optimum' gearing for this motor would be maybe a 15t pinion... but I haven't fiddled with the motor plate yet to see if would even be possible.

I know 23t isn't huge but as it's 32dp it's size is equivalent to a 26-27t 48dp pinion. I can only assume the 23t option might be ok in the stock brushless version of the Outlaw as it runs a 4 pole motor, but not in my 2 pole motor.

16 minutes ago, bieomax said:

Wouldnt the dp be the same on the 17 and 23? I though the 17t was a mod 0.6/~43dp

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

My mistake, I meant 0.6mod, not 32dp. But yes, the 17 & 23t pinions are both 0.6mod.

I know these things aren't meant for ultimate speed but I thought I'd do a speed run with it while I was out doing the same with my Rustler.

With the 17t pinion, 10.5 motor, a cheap Turnigy 5000mAh 30c 2s lipo, & using my Mio 305 gps cycle computer I recorded a best of 24.8mph. This was on a fairly smooth level country road.

Edited by DanDare
  • Like 1

I don't think a 15t brushed is gonna be much slower than my 10.5 brushless tbh. I would not however expect the brushed motor to last as long. I temporarily raced a 15t brushed/2s set up in a 2wd buggy amongst the other brushless 8.5-10.5t buggies at our grass track club & there wasn't much in it so 20(+?) mph against my 25ish is believable in my books.

Off-road where it really belongs the Outlaw feels plenty quick enough whilst not being too hard on the drivetrain.

Surprised at the speed Dan, even with just  a 2S I'd have thought the brushless motor would've propelled it towards or over the 30mph mark.. my stock brushed motor with a 3S Lipo up its backside and a 16v esc managed 34mph. I was pleasantly surprised! I ran it on 2S and it delivered 22mph.. big difference.

Yeah for some reason, is already done a run and had the same result prior to that video with it saying zero at the start. I'd reset the peak speed and just by moving it from off the back of my car and throwing it on the floor it rolled forwards, I think that's where the 5 came from?!

Haha! When I was filming it I noticed the 5kph and thought "I'm sure I just zero'd that"?!? 

Impressed with the brushed motor on 3S though, used a different esc which can handle the higher Lipo.

will be getting the upgrade parts for it soon so it'll be brushless, had the motor and esc sat there since before I bought the Outlaw :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, t2boats said:

Surprised at the speed Dan, even with just  a 2S I'd have thought the brushless motor would've propelled it towards or over the 30mph mark.. my stock brushed motor with a 3S Lipo up its backside and a 16v esc managed 34mph. I was pleasantly surprised! I ran it on 2S and it delivered 22mph.. big difference.

I can only assume your gps was using a different make satellite to mine :lol:

Seriously, I guess there are a few possibilities...

1) My motor got too hot on 23t & isn't performing properly ?

2) Lipo C rating (mine is 30c, not sure it'd impact top speed.. ?)

3) My gps bike computer, though works well while cycling could be a bit delayed in recording current speed (a bit like my Garmin 25)

4) The country road had a 30mph speed limit :P

Hi All

Got The Outlaw from a local model shop just before Christmass. Found this forum yesterday. Upgraded the motor to a brushless combo this morning and have fitted an Etronix metal geared waterproof steering servo.

Broke the rear prop this afternoon. First blood LOL

anyway here is a vid of the truck after the motor upgrade and one from a session at the local BMX track from a few weeks ago. The truck is being driven first person view with my fatshark goggles. If you haven't tried driving FPV you should. its a blast

• Like 3