• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hong Nor Project Twin

mayzie12

Time to start on some developments for 2017 i say!

wVT15Zp.jpg

Inner me has fantastic ideas all the time!

So yes, two MGM 8s ESCs in an 8th scale Hong Nor. The car has been well used and abused over the past 3 years at ROSSA but has done not too bad. I have finally managed to secure a new chassis to base my 808 car on, so this one can be a bit of fun and be used as a testbed.

So far ive mocked up a side tray for a battery, need to decide on the final shape etc but the battery will fit and it holds OK. Printed a servo mount, sadly there were no hols directly underneath the servo so it moves a little on its mounts when steering. This will be sorted though as an ESC will have to go next to it, so a combined ESC and servo mount will be made that will make it more secure. Also designed and printed a motor mount, just so i can get a full mockeup of the car completed before i get the expensive CNC bits made.

This is how it stands at the moment. Ive ordered two 1500kv motors, just cheapos but they'll be more than OK for testing and im sure i can destroy them in another car down the line!

gVAK3j8.jpg

ZOqXMWI.jpg

yvMBYmQ.jpg

okNPn6a.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good the servo/esc mount sounds good too should have enough meat to keep it secure. 

I don't really get the 2 escs yet tho is it to double up the voltage split between them? 

41 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Looks good the servo/esc mount sounds good too should have enough meat to keep it secure. 

I don't really get the 2 escs yet tho is it to double up the voltage split between them? 

One ESC for each motor, will have two of each.

16 minutes ago, HellaFlush said:

I think you focused too much on the thought that you could do it and never stopped to think should you do it? Haha. 

Looking good, what speeds you expecting? 

As with any of these things, whatever the hell i can get out of it!

It was more a reason not to have to sell these MGMs as not many people want them!

• Like 1

Got everything plugged in for a quick test, minus the motors. ESC indicator LED's suggest they work and in sync after using the channel mixing on the Tx. So hopefully get some motors and it should move..

Have another ESC/Servo mount printing at the moment i knocked up tonight, should be done in the morning. Luckily the ESC mount for the other side i already had as i can still use the same one i used last year.

Think i need to get some 8mm bore gears as i remember ruining one at ROSSA this time. Also will need to start doubling up my pinions!

0N5PAeh.jpg

4 hours ago, ajlovering said:

Nice one Maizie. Looking forward to seeing this go! Are you going to have 2 sets of cells?

Cheers

Starting of with one set, but was speaking with Mr Bez last night and we both comcluded it will probably need two!

Both ESC's fitted and wired up to the Rx. Just waiting on the motors arriving and it should go!

Also done one side for one battery, will do the other sometime this weekend. Not too bothered about the finish, this is more just to hold the batteries as a temp job while i figure out how to run 4 4s packs in this thing...........

Going to test them on 4s first, then make up a cable to allow 8s

2kyShf8.jpg

• 4 months later...

Quick update for  you then!.

Battery trays are sorted properly now, have a couple of 1500kv motors just to try out. Everything was fitted up with the mount i 3D printed just to make sure everything would fit and it did. Also had both motors and ESC's going at the same time with everything looking like its in sync. Just need to the get motor mount CNC'd and its all go.

Currently doing the last of final year uni exams so all a bit busy at the moment but after that should get along quite quickly!

AMPwBLJ.jpg

cZUw7fR.jpg

obZv0qm.jpg