• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mixing mah?

NOFX

One of my 1300mah lipos went all puffy while on charge tonight. Mine & my lads mini monster trucks run on 2 lipos each . We're off on holiday tomorrow.  Ive got a 1500 mah lipo thatll fit . Is it safe to use it along side a 1300 mah? We want to bash on the beach together. His is a reward for managing to do a poo on the loo. He's got a loo phobia. So itd be ace to bash together.  Ta in advance :)

I think they're both LiPos, but you had 2x 1300 LiPos, one has gone AWOL, so you want to replace with a 1500 you have.

Most say to stick with the same capacity - DO NOT mix.

I think it's more complicated than that.

Different batteries have different peak and continuous discharge rates. These are the main things you need to consider.

I would guess if there's a battery with a higher continuous and peak discharge rate than the other, the 1st, higher discharge rate battery will be doing all of the work and get fatigued.

I wouldn't do it. SORRY.

Al.

i have done this myself   you can use different mah packs   but you have to go by lowest spec one.  which means a run time that is based off of the 1300 pack not the 1500 one.  also the 1300 must have a c rating that can handle it.  only saying about the C  as bigger packs normally have a higher C rating.

11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I think they're both LiPos, but you had 2x 1300 LiPos, one has gone AWOL, so you want to replace with a 1500 you have.

Most say to stick with the same capacity - DO NOT mix.

I think it's more complicated than that.

Different batteries have different peak and continuous discharge rates. These are the main things you need to consider.

I would guess if there's a battery with a higher continuous and peak discharge rate than the other, the 1st, higher discharge rate battery will be doing all of the work and get fatigued.

I wouldn't do it. SORRY.

Al.

Agreed and furthermore:

If you have a 1300 & 1500 both 30c for instance, the 1300 can push 39A the 1500 can push 45A.

So not only do you get the shorter run time of the 1300 you'd have to factor in that it will also drain slightly quicker which will shorten it more.

It's something I wouldn't do but if you keep pulling over at times with a checker to keep an eye on the 1300's voltage you might be ok short term.

4 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Agreed and furthermore:

If you have a 1300 & 1500 both 30c for instance, the 1300 can push 39A the 1500 can push 45A.

So not only do you get the shorter run time of the 1300 you'd have to factor in that it will also drain slightly quicker which will shorten it more.

It's something I wouldn't do but if you keep pulling over at times with a checker to keep an eye on the 1300's voltage you might be ok short term.

he was already using the 1300 packs so if he sticks to the run time they did it will be fine.

1 minute ago, turok007 said:

he was already using the 1300 packs so if he sticks to the run time they did it will be fine.

Oh yeah. :rolleyes:

You'll be borderline ok then as long as you stick close to your run times before and don't go over.

Like I said tho checking every so often the 1300 is what I'd do.

Cheers guys :) I just had a dig about in the shed. I found a 1300 i forgot about. Ive charged it & it seems ok.   Its in a tub in the garden overnight , justin case. The one that puffed up is a zippy mini. They're less than a fiver, but we're off early tomorrow. Ive just charged the nimh for the axxe( ive got a lipo for it too) & it went up to 9.8 V   Its a 7.2v . I wonder if itll work. Only one way to find out . That's on pwhelli beach tomorrow :)