• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC tank wanted

Oh How Original

OHO there are some cheapie a on eBay depending on again price and model, my Torro tanks go for about £200-300 second hand again my Tamiya tanks more. He got long do some cheap tanks RTR and bits for them are not to bad easy to upgrade and a cheap starter tank. You seen the pics of my collection. If you need any help I can give you my opinion Jude email or pm me. If you lived closer you could come have a look at my different makes and have a go to see what you think 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will have a look into those on eBay, thanks chaps.

I wasn't sure about brands, aside from the ones Tamiya do and the ones Heng Long do, but don't like the look of the pro versions of the Heng Longs, the shiny tracks just look odd to me, so maybe Taigen or Torro provide something I might like the look of.

I sort of had my eye on a Sherman, I just like how they look and the fact they are more set up for the jungle theme rather than desert.

I think a desert tank in the woods I will use it in will look a bit odd :lol:

14 minutes ago, ICEMAN 35 said:

I have my tank for sale,heng long panzer in kursk camo, smoke unit removed but I still have that,  some pics in my gallery, let me know if it's of interest 

Drop me a PM with some more info/picture/price please :good:

Metal doesn't always mean better either, metal tracks, idlers, sprockets, hull inserts etc. are good but it can add some considerable weight when whole chassis or turrets are metal. In many cases it's pot metal as well so super heavy for what it is. 

If you get a Heng long, Torro or Taigan, many parts are interchangeable so it's the sort of thing you can fix and upgrade as time goes by. Tamiya is generally a different matter.

Rough ground tends to break plastic tracks more often. There are cheap, as in Heng Long, metal tracks and better quality ones as used on Taigen. As mrntioned you can upgrade Heng Long tanks with Taigen or Torro bits but it would probably be cheaper just to buy the Taigen tank in the first place. 

I do have a Tamiya Sherman kit that's going to be converted into an Easy8. Have all the upgrade bits required including the Easy8 conversion kit and Tamiya metal tracks etc. and am going to use an Elmod system instead of the Tamiya electronics. Only problem now is finding the time to build it.

John 

9 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

I will have a look into those on eBay, thanks chaps.

I wasn't sure about brands, aside from the ones Tamiya do and the ones Heng Long do, but don't like the look of the pro versions of the Heng Longs, the shiny tracks just look odd to me, so maybe Taigen or Torro provide something I might like the look of.

I sort of had my eye on a Sherman, I just like how they look and the fact they are more set up for the jungle theme rather than desert.

I think a desert tank in the woods I will use it in will look a bit odd :lol:

Drop me a PM with some more info/picture/price please :good:

Hi can you pm an email addy and I'll whizz pics etc over,just got in and it's always fiddly to upload on here, cheers ? 

Thanks folks, I thoroughly appreciate the advice :) I've recently become friends with a new RCer who is local and he runs Tamiya artics and other such things, so maybe I can get some footage of the tank on his low loader.

You've certainly helped me make a decision anyway.

Plastic tracks probably will be the option I go for, ideally I want something on the lighter side, simply for longer run times.

Can any of you comment on running the stock electrics on a 2s LiPo?

John said he gets about 30 minutes I think it was, from a 4,500 NiMH.

Ideally if I could fit a 5000 2s in there, I should be good for at least 90 minutes, which would be perfect!

There is something of a Tamiya bargain on eBay at the moment.... 56007 King Tiger, needs radio gear, paint job is 'interesting', has a DMD unit installed.... £100 ono posted!

I'd have it, except I already have one and all the brass etch bits to make it look proper....

OHO out of curiosity how much you looking to spend as I need to thin my collection down by quite a bit, but I'm just being a lazy arsenal at getting some listed and advertised. PM me and we can see what you need

It depends on which Tamiya. The Taigan Panther and King Tiger are probably better buys than the Tamiya versions, but the Tamiya Tiger and Leopard 2 is no contest, they are the gold standard of 1:16. 

But if I were you, I'd be on the rctank.de site and get one of there standard Taigans like the Panther G. I wouldn't buy a Tamiya unless you're confident building model kits. The build is easy but it's a model first and foremost.

It also depends on how much detail you want to put on a tank. The more detail the more delicate the tank becomes. As mentioned above some Tamiya tanks are better than others. The Tamiya King Tiger can be picked up quite cheaply on eBay but the kit definately needs quite a bit of improving. The Taigen tanks are good runners right out of the box and the detail is OK. 

I'd love to get this Tiger 1 kit as it's just the ultimate 1/16 scale tank kit but could never justify the price for a 1/16 scale tank.

http://www.rctank.de/AERO-MATE-TIGER-I-EARLY-VERSION-KIT-FULL-METAL-ARTR-Version

.           John

Thanks for the advice, I'm more than confident building a kit, that's no problem, I don't want something too delicate, which Tamiyas do generally seem to be... The tanks might not be, as I've never had hands on experience with them.

Detail is what you make it, with a bit of styrene and some paint, anything can happen lol, so that side doesn't really bother me too much either, it would be an ongoing project, probably constantly evolving.

I think the HL/Taigen route is going to be the one for me, the Tamiyas seem very expensive for what they are.

To my (untrained) eye, they don't seem that much better for 5-6-7x the price.

As I say, not had one in my hands, so I can't really make that call, but based on the information I do actually have.