• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newby with f450, help needed!

Greetings,  i just got a f450 second hand. It came with 4s battery and 1045 props with a2212 1000kv motors . After reading a lot i decided to change to 8045 props as the plane has no load except from the landing skids. Anyway, after a crash i had to dispose the lipo. I must say that even if the copter could fly  really quick if you wanted to, it flied smooth enough.

Now i have 2 2s 6000mah from my rc car  and i am wondering if i could fly this thing with single 2s battery and 10" props.  I checked the esc specs and its 2-4s compatible.

P.S. More questions will follow :P  :) 

()

thank you very much for the direct answer, that's answer i was looking for. That now leads me to my next question. 

I have 2 x 2s 6000mah 45c batteries, 210g each. Could i use them (4s) with 8" props? Or i should buy a new 3s lipo and try 10" props. i want smooth flying for aerial videography,  not sport flying. That means a gimbal and a gopro in the overall weight (which i dont have atm but planning to buy).

I mean, i'm trying to figure out  which is the best combination for smooth flying and flying time, 3s with 10" pros or 4s with 8" props.  Or some other combination.

Sorry for any bad English, not my native language. :);) 

Edited by leontheprof

set your low voltage cuttoff via a lipo alarm buzzer.

if that naza cutoff engages and you dont see it not long after the craft will enter an auto land pattern, it will start to sut down motors and land where ever it is.
with a lipo alarm fitted to the battery you can set this yourslef and the buzzer will be heard giving you a fair warning its getting low without worry of the craft entering a auto landing state. i turned my naza battery failsafe off, i rather have my battery puffing up or brning out than the quadcopter trying to land in some trees or a main road or likes. 

prop sizes, the smaller the props the LESS weight you will carry and the MORE faster the props need to spin to gain a speed to allow take off. 
2s lipos tend to be used in the small racers and small 3s batterys to. 
For your 450 your really wanting  a larger 3s battery like a 4000mah-6000mah or a 4s 4000mah battery in a single form.
less battery weight = less thrust needed to gain a takeoff. and the prop of choice for that setup would be the 10x4.5 props so ten inch props.

8 inch props are gonna cause a lotta heat and stress on the battery and esc's as your going to be running them at very high speeds ie over half throttle to gain liftoff and then your Punch out suffers ( punch out is when you bolt the throttle to max and the quad races skywards ) with 8 inch props your punch out is going to be very weak , you will nail that throttle and that quad will just raise up slowly. with 10 inch props it will bolt skywards but not at a very high rate of speed. 10 inch props will also mean at under half throttle your craft will be very light and wanting to lift of as you produce more thrust for less prop speed.

Craft weight to motor thrust . your motors if they are sunnysky may have a data sheet that gives you thrust numbers at a given voltage and rpm. 
weigh your craft with its flight gear installed ie props and battery. then look at the motor data sheet  you could find as an example that ...... 

2s @ 6000rpm gives a max thrust of 220g  ( thats 220grams per motor and you have four that 880g)
But running 4s @ 6000rpm gives you a max thrust of 480g per motor thats 1,920g ( just shy of 2kg thrust) 

now lets say your quad weights 790g , yes you could get away with the 2s battery setup with 8inch props above at 220g per motor but your risking it a bit on punch out if you need to hammer the throttle hard to get out of a problem area.
But your quad running those 10inch props is gonna produce double the thrust weight of your whole craft ie its gonna have a lotta travel left in throttle and a big punch out as they produce 480 grams from each motor meaning just two motors could lift your quads weight let alone four.

so when choosing props and batterys your really choosing the best thrust given per motor at certain rpm and voltages.
is something to take into account to leave you with spare throttle and lifting power. the less throttle you need to hover means the less battery energy is used and a nodoubt slightly longer runtime from said setup ( run time as is constant hover at a set throttle limit ie half throttle)

• 5 months later...

Bringing back an old thread  of mine as i need some more help. Now i want to add a gimbal in my f450 clone. I see good recomendations on this Tarot 

http://www.banggood.com/Tarot-GOPRO-3D-Metal-CNC-3-Axis-Brushless-Gimbal-PTZ-for-GOPRO-4-3-3-FPV-Quadcopter-TL3T01-p-1044458.html?rmmds=search

and on this Walkera

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-G-3D-Brushless-Gimbal-Anzug-fur-Quadcopter-iLook-iLook-Gorpo-3-3-P1K3-/182197444945?hash=item2a6bd06151:g:HzsAAOSwgY9XfIPQ

Any help of which one to choose is welcome.  

My problem is how to mount them to my f450, do i need to buy any mounting adaptors? I see that the tarot one mounts on some mount rails. It s a bit confusing. Is there any special   adaptor or should i find my way around on how to do it?

Here are some pics of the botton plate of my drone. i also have detached the landing legs.

IMG_20170119_171647_HHT_zpssynfmwln.jpg

the tarot gimbal has a rail clamp system but you do not have to use it.

just unscrew the rail mount clips from the  upper plate on the gimbal, source some fixing bolts and mount it to the bottom slots on your 450 frame 

so the tarot gimbal top playe you would set some bolts into it then slip these into the lsots on the bottom of your 450 frame and secure with nuts ( plastic nuts n bolts would do.
the gimbal has two upper plates the very top one can be used to fix the bimbal to the quads lower deck plate, the second plate on the gimbal is there with rubber bushing to act as a dampener ;)