• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ammo box

DBXL Smithy

Can anyone recommend me the best ammo box out there for LiPo batteries?

Looked on eBay can't decide which one to get.

Will this do? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Army-Ammo-Storage-Box-Ammunition-Surplus-Tin-Tool-Box-Metal-Camping-100-New-/301820817483?hash=item4645ec304b%3Ag%3AfS4AAOSwxN5WaNyO

Drill my own holes around the box? 

But if one LiPos sets on fire won't the rest 

Thanks.

Edited by DBXL Smithy
  • Like 1

Any will do I have a nato 7.62 round, I saw a rocket launcher box too that was cool. But they'll all be string enough for lipos. 

You can also use them as cookers lol.  

1 hour ago, DBXL Smithy said:

Can anyone recommend me the best ammo box out there for LiPo batteries?

Looked on eBay can't decide which one to get.

Will this do? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Army-Ammo-Storage-Box-Ammunition-Surplus-Tin-Tool-Box-Metal-Camping-100-New-/301820817483?hash=item4645ec304b%3Ag%3AfS4AAOSwxN5WaNyO

Drill my own holes around the box? 

But if one LiPos sets on fire won't the rest 

Thanks.

That's what I was thinking so I think I'm going for 3 of the 30 cal 7.62 ones. Will fit 4 of my lipo's standing up in their "safe" bags, a 10mm piece of ally will fit between each as a sort of compartment. Hole drilled in the top of each section, with a 10mm copper pipe joint fitted. This will then simply push-fit into a pipe section fitted to the outside wall for purposes of venting when they get put back after use.

Anal, anal, anal, anal, anal :lol::lol::lol:

45 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

That's ridiculously excessive.

Mine get put into the box and it's locked... If you have a hole in any part of it, that entirely defeats the purpose because it will add oxygen to a potential fire :rolleyes:

Ammo tin + LiPos = job done :good:

You really need a vent hole. If you don't you have a pipe bomb. An ammo box does not seal that well so you are not going to starve it of oxygen but the amount of gas generated will potentially cause it to fail spectacularly. Also if you did seal a box so no oxygen could aid combustion it would be sitting there waiting for you to open the box and then it would go up again.

3 hours ago, Carpmart said:

Do you not think that this is a little excessive?  Check your LiPo's after use and before charging.  That's it.  If you want to put all of the LiPos in your household in a metal box, it renders your mobile, your lap top, your iPad somewhat less useable! :D 

True lol. I might leave out the ammo box and at least check on the batteries every day surely they won't puff up in 1 day.

Takes time for them to puff up right?

No they can puff up anytime lol.

I do mine because they are within the house.

They're also a damn sight bigger and more powerful than the one in my phone... No laptop or tablet for me so I'm good :P plus my phone can very easily go out of the window lol.

I also don't charge them in my tin, charging within something is a completely idiotic practice.

You don't know anything bad is happening until it's far too late.

Charging sacks and the like are just stupid.

Put it somewhere safe and stay with it.

It's really that simple.

Edited by Oh How Original

5 minutes ago, DBXL Smithy said:

True lol. I might leave out the ammo box and at least check on the batteries every day surely they won't puff up in 1 day.

Takes time for them to puff up right?

I'm just suggesting a common sense approach.  Of course the type of LiPos we use have a relatively large capacity and the ability to deliver a lot of energy really quickly, BUT lithium polymer is not naturally unstable, hence why it's used so widely in everyday tech items.

check at point of storage charging, after use..... check again when you're charging for use, check after a major shunt where you think some piercing damage could have occurred.  Other than that, I see no really requirement for metal boxes and the like! 

• Like 1

FYI; I'm fairly confident most devices actually use Lithium Ion not Lithium Polymer?

I'm guessing that will make a difference.

An electric KTM I looked at uses a Lithium Ion over Polymer he said it was because they're more stable, especially on rough ground, potentially getting hit etc...

So that's something to note :)

A 'bomb' is simply taking a chemical reaction that produces a LOT of gas in a short time....and containing it in a sealed container to allow pressure build up. When the casing fails, the force of the releases pressure forms the blast wave.

Gunpowder, if ignited loose, just makes a smokey flash and not much more. Enclose it.....and it explodes. Same with LiPos. Any sealed box containing a LiPo that vents will explode the container. Hence the need for a pressure release.

In practice though, properly handled LiPos are safe. The danger is when you are using them ( over discharge, or accident damage) and when charging ( never EVER charge them unattended). Tales of LiPo randomly catching fire have usually been after some other sign of distress that wasn't spotted or wasn;t considered a problem as it 'went away'. I don't store mine in the house, and I don't charge them there either. They live in the shed when not in use. That's just common sense.

You also have to bear in mind that all the YouTube videos of exploding batteries are forced explosions, with false conditions to trigger an explosion. You can do the same with NiCd,Nimh etc and they explode with even more force, but you don;t see people storing their AA rechargeables in a nuclear bunker.

• Like 2

Just now, mond said:

I keep them in an ammo tin because it's a practical hard wearing box, with a lid and if knocked won't affect the contents. It also is a nice fit where they can be neatly stacked. 

Did you make it yourself?

Stop panicking, please!!

I currently have lipos in boxes, bags and also just as they are, sitting on a workbench, on a dressing table and on the floor. All are at storage and get checked whenever I CBA. None have ever puffed in storage, only when using, and these are safely disposed of.

Exercise common sense as previously advised and just stop the panic, really. :lol:

• Like 3