• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can someone please explain the UK law on drones.

So after looking on various places on the internet I have found contradicting infomation from all places such as Amazon to the telegraph. So please can someone please explain to me what/where I can do/fly my drone. Much thanks.

P.S sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Might be wrong but I believe

Max altitude 400ft

If you don't have a camera 50m away from anything you don't have direct control of (cars houses people etc)

If you have a camera then 150m

Always fly line of sight

You are responsible for every single flight you make.

Full rules can be found

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-Industry/Aircraft/Unmanned-aircraft/Unmanned-Aircraft/

Just now, beach_boy98 said:

Ok so I've gotta find a field then right? Or can I be 50m in the air after I take of?

At 50m even a pretty large machine will be not much more than a speck :)

Also bear in mind if you have permission to be in the field in the first place.

You HAVE to use a spotter when using a FPV screen or goggles.  And you cannot post any FPV videos really. As it is classed as making a profit.

I have a saying.  If you live in the UK and you want to fly a quadcopter  then move to another country. lol  Unless you have many fields to fly over.

Edited by turok007

Basically you can't fly them in built up areas and nowhere near a flight path if flying fpv you need a spotter.. Check with your local council as most have bylaws in place for flying anything RC anyway 

It's easier to just join a club and pay your membership fees and be done and then you won't have any hassles 

You can maneuver around the law a bit if you play clever. We use a drone to film races at our club sometimes - its well within 50m of a lot of people, but they are all attending the meeting so already agreed to basic RC health and safety, and aware of the risks. Its really more 50m from the general public.

Our drone operator then 'donates' the video to the club, who hosts it. That way there is no profit for the pilot.

Our legal people (we have a cop and a lawyer on the team) reckon there is no way we'd get prosecuted like that. However we haven't use the drone for a while because what we aren't clear on is how well our liability insurance would cope with the drone hitting someone. It might be legal but that doesn't mean you can't be held responsible if someone is hurt.....

• 3 weeks later...
Could someone clarify if small Quads such as Hubsan x 4 also come under the same rules and regulations as the bigger ones ?

Technically yes

That being said the small drones get blown about in the slightest breeze that you won't really want to fly it outside

2 hours ago, hamradioguy said:

Could someone clarify if small Quads such as Hubsan x 4 also come under the same rules and regulations as the bigger ones ?

If it has a camera then yes. 

UK LAWS : 

400ft max hight ceiling 
Craft MUST be in line of sight by pilots at ANY GIVEN TIME 
ALL craft MUST be at a range of objects, ie people - groups of people- public areas - buildings .
Pilots MUST be able to bring craft in if other software fails ( ie you must be able to fly in manual mode)
Drone should have in built safety function (IE a return to home-auto land  and a MANUAL mode )

thats the uk drone rules BUT you also MUST conform to UK flight laws, your 400ft max ceiling hight is a MUST.
Your are also NOT allowed to fly within 3 miles of an airport , if you do you must PHONE ATC (air traffic control) and tell them about your flight plans and path,
you can find AIRSPACE maps online and some are designated NO FLY ZONES. ie military or comercial flight paths .

A flight club will have these already in place they will pre warn ATC on flights they have going and the area they intend to fly models in. they will also have instructors to help new folks learn to control their machines in manual mode. manual mode is the most hardest to fly as your control everything ( pitch yaw roll and speed and alt) think of this as balancing a cup on your head full of water while you rub your belly with one hand and do keepy uppys with a football and your right leg ( possible but one must learn to master it)