• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to strip chrome finish from wheels?

Rory

As per title really , got a hotbodies GTX2 as my latest project and the wheels have big chunks of the chrome effect flaking off.

Can anybody tell me a quick way to get it all off, preferably without having to take tyres off ?

Edited to say : oops meant to post in General RC

Edited by Rory

I sanded my chrome proline wheels & spray painted them . The paint from lidl works a treat on not too flexy plastic :) . The range is a bit small though .

19 minutes ago, NOFX said:

I sanded my chrome proline wheels & spray painted them . The paint from lidl works a treat on not too flexy plastic :) . The range is a bit small though .

Maybe I'll just try that, think Id just paint them silver again.

Did you put a base coat or laquer on it?

A good spray and possible lacquer to stop it chipping so easily
But tyres always get the ""kerbed"" effect without too much effort really

Ziggy

2 hours ago, NOFX said:

It was £7 for a smaller can of matt black in halfords. £3.99 for the lidl one . The halfords one's crap too :(

Halfords is such a rip off ! I just bought a tube of silicon sealant - £5 in halfords, I got it for £2.89 delivered on ebay, same stuff.  Nearly half the price!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, heavyleftthumb said:

oven cleaner, soak them over night and you will have a set of plain wheels in the morning. depends on colour of plastic they were made from as to what colour they are when stripped

Surely that would really damage the sponge inside?!

Acetone is the best for this, it'll debond the tyres too and the foams will expand but will be fine and normal size once dry.

Just soak the wheels in a bucket of it with some sort of cover to slow evaporation for a few hours and the tyres should pretty much fall off the rims and any chrome left will just rub off.

Rit dye is a cheap way of colouring the as most chrome wheels are dyable un coloured plastic, and it wont chip or scratch either.