• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya kit for 6yo Girl.

Matt888

Everytime I take out one of my rc's with my little girl she always want a drive, after she has got hold of the controller you can watch the RB or Trooper launch across the field at Mach 1.

Her goal is to get her little hands on my prise possession my Tamiya Sand Scorcher she loves it.

So my wife said to me "you need to get her a car of her own" (I thought I was hearing voices), so obviously I would never give up the chance to build another kit so I'm looking for any suggestions to a cheapish off road Tamiya kit for her.

Lunchbox or Pumpkin.

At a recent race meeting loaded down with high performance 1/10th buggies the thing all the kids got excited about was a stock Midnight Pumpkin. Kids love monster trucks. I let a few use my Hpi Wheely King (better than the Lunchbox but not available as a kit) and they were laughing their heads off. Sure they roll over ALL the time, but the kids seemed to enjoy running over to right it as much as anything else.

• Like 1

I built a Violet Racer with my 8 year old, three and a half years ago. She did pretty much the entire build except the shocks (she couldn't compress the springs to fit them) On;y changes from stock were ball bearings and oil shocks.

Was out running it yesterday and so far hasn't broken anything (but has hit a lot of stuff)

She loves it, being purple helped as did finding a small Kumamon figure to sit in the drivers seat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/311433403783?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9045065&poi=&campaignid=270621186&device=c&adgroupid=16885268106&rlsatarget=pla-146650302306&adtype=pla&crdt=0

How much of a build challenge do you fancy?

If she is excited by your Sand Scorcher, how about building her a lookalike by combining a Grasshopper chassis with a Beetle bodyshell? 

sandhopper800.jpg

Or for a more capable offroader, how about putting a Beetle shell on a WT-01 chassis like this?

20150128_154823_zps0c8bb36e.jpg

9 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

How much of a build challenge do you fancy?

If she is excited by your Sand Scorcher, how about building her a lookalike by combining a Grasshopper chassis with a Beetle bodyshell? 

sandhopper800.jpg

Or for a more capable offroader, how about putting a Beetle shell on a WT-01 chassis like this?

20150128_154823_zps0c8bb36e.jpg

I'm not that adventurous, I did think about a Monster Beetle though but she does like the pink neo scorcher. 

The pink Neo Scorcher is a popular choice for girls it seems. I think it looks great, especially with white wheels to match the shocks and decals rather than the stock smoked ones.

DSC04199_zpsb4qohe8n.jpg

23 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

The pink Neo Scorcher is a popular choice for girls it seems. I think it looks great, especially with white wheels to match the shocks and decals rather than the stock smoked ones.

DSC04199_zpsb4qohe8n.jpg

I saw the thread TMAXXDave put up, he said he got it from Hong Kong I wonder where he got it from and much it cost, if we got one of them if she decide she didn't like it I could fit some hop ups and use it myself, haven't got a 1.10th 4wd.

Edited by Matt888
Spelling

7 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Jazrider is the seller on eBay, but I've just found this one that is cheaper than mine was. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331859525158

And it's from Germany.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link, will show her tomorrow and make sure she definitely wants the pink car,but because it's pink that really goes without saying..

Hopefully she will. It was an absolute pleasure to build. The only major issue I have with it, is the rear shock tower is awful IMO, id strongly suggest ordering the FRP mount if you do decide to (she decides to like it) get one.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

If it is the pinkness that attracts her rather than the car itself, how about also showing her some other pink cars to get an idea of the type od model she would like?

The Mad Bull is an excellent kid's  first car, and you can spray the shell pink easily enough:

10296081_10152192561291158_2559033123199

The Lunchbox is also a popular one amongst kids, and can be pinked out easily enough:

lunchbox_zps9b48f287.jpg

Google image search will no doubt give you plenty more pink Tamiyas to look at too.

20 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Has she seen the neo scorcher yet?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

Not yet I start work at 4.00 am so I'll show her when I get home.

I've noticed that the neo scorcher is made completely of plastic, driveshafts and everything. 

So I've just made a best offer on a White Dark Impact I'll spray that pink if I get it. 

Ooh, I'd be wary of the Dark Impact. The gearbox features a soft alloy idler gear that wears rapidly. There used to be a hardened option part available but this is very very hard to come by these days.

If you want it as a display piece, great, but I can't say I'd recommend it as a runner, unless you plan on only running it gently on the stock silver can motor.

As TMaxxDave says, the TT-02B plastics are fine for the most part. The rear diff is best upgraded to metal, but the driveshafts are surprisingly resilient - I would only worry about them if a significantly more powerful motor is on the cards.

• Like 1