• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

5ive gearing?

.AJ.

As you all know I've got a 5ive on the way, I'm going to have to gear it up a bit to get decent speed out of my Bartolone G340, the plan is to upgrade the clutch bell and pinion, the question is do I go with Vertigo Hex Drive or Blackbone?.

Vertigo only goes up to 22t tho, so I would need to change the spur to go even higher, but Blackbone is almost limitless and and all the way up to a 24t pinion are available off the shelf

Soo which one? I'm thinking Blackbone, maybe start with a 22t and go from there

Just a quick bit of info AJ.

I run an ESP G320 on my X2 along with a GPM 22t pinion and I also run a TTO and GPS system.

Now my X2 on the 22t pinion tops out at 40-42mph with an RPM of around 16,500-16,800rpm.

The G320 still has plenty of bottom end and I have been looking at a 23t myself but I also think to myself that 40-42mph is plenty fast enough for a truck that weighs the best part of 19Kg!

I think that unless you want 45mph+ a 22t pinion will be fine for you, also exhaust plays a big part when it comes to top end RPM on these engines, I've tried quite a few on my G320 and know how they each perform in terms of top end RPM as I could monitor it with my TTO.

I'm still waiting to test out my new BZM Micro pipe but I'm hoping it'll get me to that 45mph mark while keeping the current 22t pinion.

5 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Think I'll go for the Veritgo, exhaust wise I've got the proper Bart G320 one on the way

Pure bottom end grunt with that pipe!!

I have a spread sheet that calculates speed in MPH based on pinion, spur, RPM and tire size that I could send you That way you could play around with the pinion and spur sizes and see where that'll get you too?

Just now, .AJ. said:

If it's anything like the pipe I had on the DB it will be a beast and this engine is packing a bigger punch as well :lol: 

Yea if you could send me over that spread sheet I would be grateful :good:

Should be attached, the tire diameter is set to the stock tires which are 180mm tall, if you run 190mm tires it'll add 2mph to the top speed.

The value for 190mm tall tires for the spread sheet needs to be changed to 7.48 inches.

Have fun with it :D

Speed calculator.xlsx

• Like 2

I have a black bone bell/pinion and its developed a lot of play on the pinion shalft. Not sure how long I've had it, but it hasn't done much.

I've got a vertigo for when the backbone goes. My old man has used a vertigo for a couple of years. Still in great condition.

• Like 1