• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which short course truck for club racing and bashing

1 hour ago, ostewart said:

What power system are you planning to use?

Hobbywing WP-SC8 + 3656 combo at 4000kv would be an excellent choice if you ever want to upgrade.

As I said in a PM, Proline Pro-Spec shocks will make a big difference to handling too, with 25wt rear and 30wt front roughly on the medium piston holes.

Either way changing your shock oils will make a difference, as will your diff oil (around 20,000 - 30,000wt in the diff works well) and shocks depends on pistons (front you want between 30-40wt, rear 20-30 roughly)

Enjoy the racing, it isn't as hard as it looks, and you get better with practice, it is great fun being with people who enjoy the same hobby. I do miss racing, I'll probably go back one day.

It's running the stock EMH-3S ESC & Flux 4000kv motor. If it dies then I wouldn't hesitate to drop that combo in.

Thanks for good info mate, it will come in handy dialing in the handling no doubt :)

• 2 months later...

Gutted to see you ended up with a blitz after reading through all this, Team Kirk had a used Tekno 410 for sale about the same time you started this thread, would have gone for about £320. That said having fun is what its all about at the end of the day and racing your mates is always the most fun part regardless of what kit your using :thumbsup:

Anyone need anything Tekno related just hit up Team Kirk RC on facebook :)

• Like 1

Gutted to see you ended up with a blitz after reading through all this, Team Kirk had a used Tekno 410 for sale about the same time you started this thread, would have gone for about £320. That said having fun is what its all about at the end of the day and racing your mates is always the most fun part regardless of what kit your using :thumbsup:

Anyone need anything Tekno related just hit up Team Kirk RC on facebook [emoji4]

I sold the Blitz after 2 or 3 race days and bought an Associated SC5M. We're only racing 2wd at the moment.

I like Team Kirk on FB. His tyre tuning tips are very helpful.

If we go 4wd the Tekno is what I'd get but the local track is quite small and technical.

Still getting the Sc5m dialed in as not quite there yet.

May get a tekno for bashing

SC5M is a good truck for 2wd racing as is the PR RACING 2wd SCT. I am thinking of converting the 2wd tekno back to 4wd so may get my lad another dedicated 2wd trucks instead and so far these are the hot ones on the list !

• Like 1

Yup I'm always hearing about the Tekno 410. Also seems like Team Kirk and rpcdistribution are stocking parts as that was my concern.

Still at £299 which is a bargain for a roller. Only £40 more than my SC5m kit!

It certainly is a good deal, I was the first SC racer to run the 410 in the UK 2years ago I was sponsored directly by Tekno in San Diego, now we are hooked up with RPRCDistribution we have great product support for all Tekno kits now. I see your up in the highlands, one of your members Rob Stephenson was hitting me up for tyre and shock tips recently, looks a cool little track you have up there :)

Edited by justingt5
  • Like 1

It certainly is a good deal, I was the first SC racer to run the 410 in the UK 2years ago I was sponsored directly by Tekno in San Diego, now we are hooked up with RPRCDistribution we have great product support for all Tekno kits now. I see your up in the highlands, one of your members Rob Stephenson was hitting me up for tyre and shock tips recently, looks a cool little track you have up there [emoji4]

Yup, we're new to racing Short Course at this track. It has always been 1/10 2 and 4wd buggy but I pestered Rob enough to get Short Course this season!

There 4 or 5 of us racing SC but all 2wd.

I am certainly interested in the Tekno. I may not race it officially as it's unfair against a track full of 2wd but as a Basher and piece of engineering I am certainly keen to get one asap. I like your page so will keep an eye out.

Rob and myself are still trying to get the sc5m just right on high grip tight astro. Highland weather doesn't help testing!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Derka said:

Yup, we're new to racing Short Course at this track. It has always been 1/10 2 and 4wd buggy but I pestered Rob enough to get Short Course this season!

I am certainly interested in the Tekno. I may not race it officially as it's unfair against a track full of 2wd but as a Basher and piece of engineering I am certainly keen to get one asap. I like your page so will keep an eye out.

Rob and myself are still trying to get the sc5m just right on high grip tight astro. Highland weather doesn't help testing!

They're great truck. I've had mine for almost a year and so far (touch wood) I've broken nothing. I have converted mine to a eb48sl but it could be converted back within a few minutes. The battery design is a little limiting if you want to run 4s but it's not a massive concern. I took mine back to the track last weekend and it did really well considering I had Nadia blocks on, now that I've ordered some new tires I'm sure it will be much faster.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Derka said:

Tyres are the most important part by a long shot, that and the diff oil gets those right and the you dont really need to mess with the other stuff as much.

34 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

They're great truck. I've had mine for almost a year and so far (touch wood) I've broken nothing. I have converted mine to a eb48sl but it could be converted back within a few minutes. The battery design is a little limiting if you want to run 4s but it's not a massive concern. I took mine back to the track last weekend and it did really well considering I had Nadia blocks on, now that I've ordered some new tires I'm sure it will be much faster.

I converted my old 410 to the SL and ran it on 4s at one round of the 8th Ebuggy Nats last season, carbon towers are a bad idea on a hard gravel track :) for 4s I did the battery tray mod and used foam blocks to offset 2x 2s packs on top of each other, you need the EB48 battery straps too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, justingt5 said:

1cac36dfc9ef8116f7b5e302cfcd0b73.jpg

df929be30c0b682f074addeac34c5878.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The metal towers have been solid so far. The current battery straps are working fine for me. It's nice to know that you can easily convert them between an SCT and ebuggy.

What diff oil were you running the in the SL?

Edited by Alex97

I think it was 10/10/3. Only ran it twice then converted it to a 2wd SCT for my lad to race. ?

7 minutes ago, justingt5 said:

I think it was 10/10/3. Only ran it twice then converted it to a 2wd SCT for my lad to race. ?

I'm running stock front a rear but 8 in the middle. Might try 12. 

Thanks 

Derka - out of interest why did you ditch the Blitz so quickly?  I know it's an old truck now, but from what I've read it can be made fairly competitive with a few changes / mods.  I ask as I'm about to dip my toe in the racing world with the SCT class at my local(ish) track - a tight high grip astro!

My main concern for running at this track is the lack of steering / initial turn-in.  So far I've fitted an HPI ali rack, dremelled various bits including the front arms (near hinge pins where rack rubs under compression), the knuckles and the camber blocks. It already had an upgraded servo, and I've increased the steering EPA to about 110% so it actually hits my new stops.  Unfortunately there's no practice facility so I'll have to wait until my first race in a couple of weeks time to see if any of this actually helps...  All the others are running DESC210's!

I ditched the Blitz in favour of a mid motor layout. That meant Durango or the new Ae SC5M.

The Blitz was good. In real terms with a good driver there wouldn't be a huge difference. I drove my friends mid motor and on my 3rd lap did my fastest ever lap. I was more consistent too which was what mattered.

I favoured the AE over Durango due to not been able to find many parts.

Having people with the same truck helps with parts and setup.

The Blitz is by no means a bad truck. It's just not as good as newer, more race oriented trucks.

With short course, a lot of it tyre choice and getting the right amount of grip.

Plus lots of practice

Well good to hear that you don't think it's totally outclassed... What tyres were you using at your astro track? Most of the guys at my track are running mini spikes 

yellow I think on the rear and something else on the front. Any other setup tips for a Blitz on tight astro? Thanks