• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC4WD fan's G2 D90 pickup/trail truck

RC4WD fan

I've been wanting to build one of these for a long time now so saved some £ and brought a gelande 2 :) was a little bit unsure at first as the chassis only took 4 hours that's with doing the shim and greasing the front and rear axles doing transfer box and gear box just got to put the electrics in the main build time is going to be the body making it in to a pickup is not going to be easy as I have no styrene skills at all 0 so it's going to be slow going I've got 2 options do the back of the cab with the coped off back half or buy the rear cab kit from the scale store more than likely going to just use the back half that got chopped of now on to the second thing I'm not sure on is to do a bed or do a bed cover like one of these 0C451094-D5D4-4ABD-99A8-09D313DB676B_zps ADABEA4C-814C-4FC0-95FE-C6D8E5AB4D9F_zps CBF5D843-8155-4236-BC37-60F064BFDA30_zps
what's peoples opinion on bed covers ? anyway coped off the back last nigh went from this 0CF52A07-C509-48C8-AE52-E597C4E761EE_zps 
to this C1B7FB7B-68B9-4167-A29B-31E46F8D2DDF_zps I have found 1 problem is the rain cutter I think that's what it's called doesn't lineup anyone got any suggestions how to fix this ? A4BC66C1-0873-492D-A711-28E9CF062EB4_zps any comments advice would be much appreciated 

B and q do 34mm waste pipe for a couple of quid, perfect shape for rounding the rear, and then a 90 bend fixing.

did mine for a tenner including a tube of two part epoxy to strengthen.

ill get some pics of mine if you like?

1 hour ago, jaykelly68 said:

Could you not bring the rain gutter in line mark the excess overhang on the roof and gently file down so you have a flush fit, the small gap left at the bottom would be covered by the bed cover....

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, XV Pilot said:

^ What he said. ^

that was one of the ways I can do it or I can file down the gutter on the back and get some rod and make a new gutter can you get 2mm styrene rod ? I have no idea

35 minutes ago, big gaz said:

B and q do 34mm waste pipe for a couple of quid, perfect shape for rounding the rear, and then a 90 bend fixing.

did mine for a tenner including a tube of two part epoxy to strengthen.

ill get some pics of mine if you like?

yes please mate more the better had a look in B&Q can only see 32mm waste pipe don't know if there will be much of a difference ? as I like this way of doing it a lot :)

Personally I prefer the extended cab look over the rounded back, so I went with that option.

For the rail, get some styrene strips and just put new new gutters on, that's what I did with mine anyway... Just don't cut too much off the rear part of the gutter where it's bent, because it's hard to make it again :lol:

Easier to do a very little bit at a time :)

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Personally I prefer the extended cab look over the rounded back, so I went with that option.

For the rail, get some styrene strips and just put new new gutters on, that's what I did with mine anyway... Just don't cut too much off the rear part of the gutter where it's bent, because it's hard to make it again :lol:

Easier to do a very little bit at a time :)

yeah I like the the extended cab look over the rounded back I'm going to have a go at a rounded back but the more I look at the flat back the more I like it I have another body coming to make a nice non pickup d90 as this is going to be more non road legal have you got a link for styrene strips or did you just cut strips from a sheet ?

You can do either, the strips are available just on eBay, there's lots of different shapes and sizes of styrene available if you have a look.

Or you can easily cut it from a sheet and just sand the edges to round it off.

I know this is far too much for your needs but it's always handy stuff to have around for the sake of a couple of quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastruct-Styrene-MR-60-90858-Pack-10-x-1-5mm-x-250mm-Lengths-Round-Rod-New-/170990650623?hash=item27cfd644ff:g:f4UAAOxywh1TCd02

34 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

You can do either, the strips are available just on eBay, there's lots of different shapes and sizes of styrene available if you have a look.

Or you can easily cut it from a sheet and just sand the edges to round it off.

I know this is far too much for your needs but it's always handy stuff to have around for the sake of a couple of quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastruct-Styrene-MR-60-90858-Pack-10-x-1-5mm-x-250mm-Lengths-Round-Rod-New-/170990650623?hash=item27cfd644ff:g:f4UAAOxywh1TCd02

just been to my LHS and got some I really need to start looking there first :doh: 

LHS's are usually quite good for stuff like that, my old one used to have a tray full of the unbranded styrene, the Evergreen stuff was like 4quid for 2 sheets... This stuff for like 80p a sheet, worked exactly the same.

Sometimes it's worth having a look :)

On average I used to save about £20-25 in total on a £50 purchase compared to buying online.

15 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

LHS's are usually quite good for stuff like that, my old one used to have a tray full of the unbranded styrene, the Evergreen stuff was like 4quid for 2 sheets... This stuff for like 80p a sheet, worked exactly the same.

Sometimes it's worth having a look :)

On average I used to save about £20-25 in total on a £50 purchase compared to buying online.

mine did stuff like that years ago but then got taking over and now are expensive and don't do anything like that anymore :( 

17 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

A small idea for you Jamie... Instead of doing the sunroof like you have with it still raised, why not remove the bit you've added, then sand away any raised parts, put a piece to fill in the gap so it's flush and it'll look like a factory done job?

Just a suggestion of course :)

good idea I'll give it a go need take a brake for a couple of hours as the glue fumes are making me see things :lol: 

got some more done OHO suggested making the sun roof sit flush with the roof so sanded the edges off and filled it in going to need a lot of filler  ::doh:: 8D7A19F0-7708-4A36-8FF3-8A028C12BD3A_zps and fitted the rear cab and bed cover 09C19CCC-9C7E-405A-9714-9EDE4FDED3C4_zps 

IMO that looks way way better than with the raised bit.

You also now have the option of putting some of the ridges down it if you wanted to as well, which some people do :)

This is pretty good stuff, I have used it a lot in the past.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squadron-Green-Fine-Finish-Modelling-Hobby-Putty-Filler-SQ9050-/121019990140?hash=item1c2d5a807c:g:vXsAAOxydl5SLYQK

48 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I'm not sure, I know some people put them on these.

Although strictly speaking these are based on the later models because of the air conditioning unit behind the grille, which is why it sticks out.

I believe that started with R reg Landies.

I could be wrong though, but I'm sure it was around that era.

these shells are of a 1990 defender I think witch don't have them from what I can see from pics but again I could be wrong to

8 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

These bodies are with air conditioning, I just can't remember what year that started, I didn't think it was as early as 1990 though, I thought it was about R reg (1998ish) but obviously that's just from what I've seen on the roads etc...

Either way it's not helping me resist buying another G2... :P

tower hobbies has the TF2 in stock now so take your pick :D

8 hours ago, Rover Man said:

The ribs on the roof was on the series land rovers. the 90 that became the defender in 1990 never had them 

that saves me a job then :good: