• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New project cc-01 tamiya unimog 425

bobisox2

There are loads of options - the CC-01 is one of the most customisable chassis out there, with literally thousands of option parts from Tamiya and 3rd party manufacturers.

Key mods/hop-ups are as follows:

• Bearing kit (rubber sealed for offroad use)
  • Steel pinion (the stock alloy one wears out fast)
  • Ballraced steering rack (the plastic one binds and is sloppy)
  • Rear link kit (the stock one binds)
  • Shims for the rear diff (to prevent excessive lash and resulting premature wear)
  • Front universals (to allow steering throw and suspension travel increases without the dogbones popping out)
  • Wheel weights (lowering the CoG and helping the tyres to grip better)
  • Softer tyres (achieves the same effect as letting some air out of fullsize ones)
  • A servo winch (installed where the MSC servo would have gone)
  • Alloy servo mounts (stronger than stock plastic)

The rear diff shimming is particularly easy, as all you need are an 850 metal bushing and an 1150 plastic bushing, installed like so:

img42728_25012016152612_9_zpsjq1b4ikq.jp

You'll have the bushings left over after fitting the bearing kit.

Enamel is the worst paint to use....fine for static models, not RC wheels.

If you're determined to paint them, use acrylic primer and acrylic top coat. It will flake off though.....maybe not tomorrow, maybe not a week on Thursday, but it most definitely will.....

• Like 1

Sorry to be a pain I am looking for some upgrades for my cc-01 I have found loads but not sure which company to buy from and which upgrade to start off with what is your best choice cheers from rob I would like some links too

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

You are not being a pain! Answering questions like that is one of the primary reasons for this forum.

There are many, many hop-ups out there that I haven't bought or fitted. If one had the funds and inclination, one could take a CC01 tub moulding, and turn it into a complete car using nothing but hop-ups! However I have added quite a few to my CC-01 over the years.

CC01%20014_zpsgzzrdn0f.jpg

What I tried to do with my build was to only fit those hop-ups that gave a performance or strength advantage over the stock parts. Some gave more of an advantage than others, but there aren't any that I would consider pointless.

In terms of necessary hop-ups, a CC01 makes quite a nice smooth surface runner with nothing more than a steel pinion, a bearing kit and ballraced steering (or a high-torque servo that can overcome the binding of the stock steering setup).

If you want to head offroad, the single most beneficial hop-up is a good set of tyres. I found they made the biggest difference to the trail abilities of my CC01. The stock ones are fine for looks, but they are quite hard. Just as reducing tyre pressure helps a fullsize offroader, fitting softer tyres helps a model one.

The second biggest improvement was brought about by the Junfac 4-link kit, which frees up the articulation of the rear suspension considerably, and lets the shocks do their job. There are cheaper options than the Junfac kit, but to my mind the quality justifies the price.

The third most significant hop-ups in my opinion were the front universals, not in and of themseves, but rather because of the possibilities they open up. The stock CC01 front dogbones are fine if the front end is left stock, but as soon as you start making modifications to increase suspension travel or steering throw, the dogbones have an annoying habit of popping out. With universals up front, you can do a lot of useful front end mods.

The aluminium front hubs and suspension arms are more for the sake of strength than performance, as similar increases to travel and throw can be achieved by cutting away pieces of the stock plastic parts. However while this leaves one with a weaker car, the aluminium hop-ups leave you with a stronger one.

Other hop-ups, such as the propshaft and servo brackets, are purely for strength, making no difference to performance compared to the stock components.

• Like 1

I very much appreciated your help I really like the back end of your car ie all the links tbats why I was not sure on what to do like you said some parts work Brill some parts don't work at all lol what would happen if I put a 70turn motor has I have a spare one from my Ftx spyder rock crawler

1 hour ago, bobisox2 said:

I very much appreciated your help I really like the back end of your car ie all the links tbats why I was not sure on what to do like you said some parts work Brill some parts don't work at all lol what would happen if I put a 70turn motor has I have a spare one from my Ftx spyder rock crawler

All the rear links and mounting bits come with the Junfac kit.

A 70t motor would make the rig quite slow but would give it a good bit more torque as well as improve runtimes.

I run a 60t motor in mine and find it tops out at jogging pace but has plenty of pulling power and runs for a good 45 mins off a 2800mAH battery. Your 70t would be similar, just a bit slower, with a bit more torque and runtime.

1 hour ago, bobisox2 said:

Would any tyres fit the stock wheels

The stock wheels are 1.9 touring car size, so any 1.9 standard width touring or trail tyres should fit. My tyres of choice are Fastrax Kongs, that fit the stock wheels perfectly. You can even get them pre-mounted on white "steel"-style wheels that would suit the utilitarian look of a Unimog quite well. Here is a link:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-kong-96mm-1.9-crawler-tyres-on-scale-wheels-2-white/rc-car-products/33918

• Like 1