• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My next basher

khevolution

Not sure such a vehicle exists, but figured if anybody is going to know then its you people here.

After building my AE B5M FL and almost getting it ready to race, work decided that i am needed now on Sundays, which means I can no longer go racing. So after tinkering with my boys truck for long enough, I decided I needed something to bash with him as i would spend more time "testing" it then he would actually using it.

Is there a car out there that makes a good basher that comes in kit form? my first though when looking for a basher would be the Traxxas slash, owned one before and it was great, but must admit after building the B5M, i really enjoyed the building and getting to choose the electronics to go in it. Then another important thing to consider it Part support or even aftermarket support.

Dont want anything too big as i find as the scale goes up so does the price, so im thinking 1/10th should be where i would be best to look.

Looking to spend around 250ish, maybe a tad more depending on how well the buggy sells

What you got for me?

Edited by khevolution

Hyper 7 Shortcourse converted ...

1. Plentiful parts

2. Tough as nails

3. CHEAP!  Id suspect hyper 7 replacement parts and gear on par with any quality 1/10th scale  ... I have 1/10th / 1/12th 1/5th 1/7th and obvi - many 1/8th - I dont see enough price difference between my 1/10th size stuff to merit the performance and durability of a 1/8th basher buggy.  Could run a Hyper 7 SC on a solid Castle system ...

14 minutes ago, RCpete said:

I would go 1/8th scale for bashing and for your budget the Hong Nor sabre x3 e brushless. Brilliant car for the price and decent parts support!

+1 for the X3e - IF you have lipos and chargers already.  Just outsode budget but is often reduced.  

16 hours ago, sputnik said:

1. Plentiful parts

2. Tough as nails

3. CHEAP!  Id suspect hyper 7 replacement parts and gear on par with any quality 1/10th scale  ... I have 1/10th / 1/12th 1/5th 1/7th and obvi - many 1/8th - I dont see enough price difference between my 1/10th size stuff to merit the performance and durability of a 1/8th basher buggy.  Could run a Hyper 7 SC on a solid Castle system ...

Or a factory stock one..... if you had a time machine and don't mind the fact it's technically a 'clone' ;)

16 hours ago, sputnik said:

1. Plentiful parts

2. Tough as nails

Done the hyper 7 thing, but always keep an eye on them on ebay. can see me owning another, one drunk evening

13 minutes ago, RCpete said:

I would go 1/8th scale for bashing and for your budget the Hong Nor sabre x3 e brushless. Brilliant car for the price and decent parts support!

Never thought about the Hong Nor, what are the electrics like in it?

2 minutes ago, khevolution said:

Never thought about the Hong Nor, what are the electrics like in it?

Well a few guys on here have them and rave about them. If there were any horror stories about the electrics we would of heard about it.

4 minutes ago, khevolution said:

Just seen this, love the look of it. Think im becoming a bit of a associated Fan boy, anybody got any experience with one?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-sc10b-rs-brushless-rtr-buggy/rc-car-products/370703 

Cant comment, never seen or used one. Personally i wouldn't, i dont like the look and it will never be as durable as a well sorted 1/8th buggy.

5 minutes ago, RCpete said:

Cant comment, never seen or used one. Personally i wouldn't, i dont like the look and it will never be as durable as a well sorted 1/8th buggy.

never even knew they existed till about 15 minutes ago 

sorry for the double post, but been looking online again, and seen the Proline PRO2 range (Buggy MT or SC) these look rather good and looking at the reviews, seem to be pretty durable. 

Cant see much in the way of part support though?

Hong Nor X3e comes with a Hobbywing WPSC8 - rtr version so some program options are disabled, and a Leopard 2100kv motor....36mm like 1/10ths!  It's a long can, 3665 if I remember correctly, and is an excellent motor.  I've had a few of the combo's, first one ended up in a Hong Nor Truggy conversion (not mine) and coped well allegedly.  Last one went in my Hyper 7 and was superb in it.

4 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Or a factory stock one..... if you had a time machine and don't mind the fact it's technically a 'clone' ;)

Help me out here ... Hong Nor has a 1/8th scale SC ?  Im a bit lost here.  Sorry to be dense.

and X3e converted to shortcourse style vehicle would be pretty sweet as well ... already exist?   Clue me in my good man.

Ive held one of those associated - actually it may have been the LOSI SCORR Buggy style vehicles ...  plastic and 1/10th scale stuff - I just cant bring myself to run 1/10th scale gear - even my small scale stuff is essentially 1/8th shocks and cnc'd up for support ... the HYPER 10TT would be in that realm ...  still saying go 1/8th

10 hours ago, sputnik said:

Help me out here ... Hong Nor has a 1/8th scale SC ?  Im a bit lost here.  Sorry to be dense.

and X3e converted to shortcourse style vehicle would be pretty sweet as well ... already exist?   Clue me in my good man.

If only.  No, I found a Hyper 7 SC, factory stock.  Only it's a clone.  Thread and pics later today (so long as it arrives).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, khevolution said:

sorry for the double post, but been looking online again, and seen the Proline PRO2 range (Buggy MT or SC) these look rather good and looking at the reviews, seem to be pretty durable. 

Cant see much in the way of part support though?

I have both PMT and Pro buggy.

PMT is an excellent 2s basher, the buggy is built for the track, IMO. Buying the buggy gives all the parts needed to convert to the SC (bar a shell), the kits are well thought out and a good build.

PMT uses an HD transmission, whereas the buggy doesn't.

UK parts supply is poor, however, spares can be had from Germany or RCmart, Amains. Spurs are the weakest point (not that I have replaced one yet) so just order in some spares when ordering the kit.