• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mugen Bulldog AWDS

johninderby

Had one of these many years ago and wished often that I had kept it so when I came across this one on eBay I just had to have it.

Great condition and has apparently been stored for nearly 30 years. Everything is intact and seems to be in working condition. Only slight bit of damage is to the rear aluminium bracket that supports the cage. Just a small dent and twisted slightly but easily fixed.  Also has a1985 era Futaba electronic ESC. Bought as a restoration project but doesn't really need much doing to it. I will completely disassemble it anyway just to clean up everything properly and check it thoroughly.

Tyres could do with replacing as they have hardened over 30 years but are intact. Unfortunately they are nearly impossible to obtain so I'll just use them for display and fit a set of new wheels & tyres for running.

The design was ahead of it's time in many ways. It's 4WD with four wheel steering. The chassis consists of a central plastic molding with aluminium side plates with the belt drive system inside. Very strong and stiff design but also very light. I think it has a sort of ugly but functional look to it. Never imported into the UK in any numbers but very popular in Australia and the far east where it dominated racing for a few years.

John

Bulldog-1_zps2rooyvtc.jpg

Bulldog-2_zps4cntrb5p.jpg

Bulldog-4_zpsyqfaxq0r.jpg

Bulldog-6_zpskoj2kh6y.jpg

Bulldog-5_zps7kfkg3ni.jpg

Bulldog-8_zpswd5zbdig.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

Took the cage and a few other bits off. Except for the damaged aluminium bracket as mentioned no damage at all found so far. Think I will fit two steering servos instead of the stock single one with a long linkage to the rear. Then I'll be able to choose whether I want to use the rear steering or not and also the steering should be more positive.

John

Bulldog-9_zpsxluia5hc.jpg

With the limited time I'm able to give to RC at the moment I've been restricted to doing little bits here and there but have been able to get the bits I need to re-do the Bulldog.

The twisted and dented rear alloy bracket has been straightened, dents hammered out and the surface filed smooth and then fine steel wool used to restore the surface. Looks quite serviceable now.

As the wheels are 1.8" haven't been able to find suitable replacement tyres. Also the axles are very short and an odd size so finding wheels to fit has also been a problem. Only practical solution is to change the knuckles and axles to something standard. Found out Tamiya Hotshot parts will fit with no alterations to the Bulldog so it can always be put back to stock if I do ever manage to find a "new" set of Bulldog tyres. Fortunately I had a couple of spare Hotshot knuckles and a full set of axles and bearings so just needed to buy two more knuckles. Also bought a set of Tamiya Hotshot tyres and wheels which are very close in size to the stock ones and the stepped pins on them are very similar to what the Bulldog tyres should be. Unlike the ones on mine that are worn right down.

John

MB-Rear-Bracket_zpsh3sd02mf.jpg

MB-New-Tyres_zpsdd2m699p.jpg

Hot soapy water followed with some Armor All for the plastic and wire wool for all the aluminium parts. Bearings for the diffs need to be ordered and some ball ends for the Hotshot knuckles to match the Mugen retainers. Ordered some new circlips as well.

Fortunately the drive belts are in perfect condition. Was worried I might have to source some new ones but no need. Found an old unused Mabuchi motor that will suit and look vintage. Did some research on the Trinty motor that was fitted and found they lasted about three or four runs before new bushes were needed and weren't that good performance wise anyway.

John

Rebuilt the ball difs and replaced all the bushings with proper bearings. The big bearings for the centre diff were the only hard ones to get hold of. None of the usual bearing suppliers had the right size but came across an eBay seller who had some albeit at oddball hard to get size prices. :shockingscary:

The drive belts were in good condition but treated them with print roller cleaner and restorer anyway. Keeps them supple and gives better grip.

John

MugenBulldog-Diffs_zpsjtn9rw6u.jpg

Little bit more done and motor and servo mounts added. Will be using two servos instead of the stock setup of just one with a long linkage to the rear. This way I'll be able to choose front steer or four wheel steer and won't be stuck with full time 4WS.

John

MugenBulldog-2_zpsaqk2clht.jpg

• Like 2

Some bearings and bushes arrived so I could fit the suspension.

Decided not to use the Hotshot knuckles after all due to a problem in finding the right size ball ends that would screw into the knuckles.  Keeping the stock knuckles instead but ordered bearings that were the same diameter and width as the stock bushings but the right inner diameter to fit the Tamiya axles. Only one bearing per axle but they are big so will be no problem.

The inner ends of the lower suspension arms had some plastic spacers that weren't in great shape and some of them were missing, but found the perfect size brass spacers on eBay. Good tight fit but the arms still move freely.

John

MugenBulldog-5_zpsdeseulpk.jpg

MugenBulldog-6_zps9ipyqw03.jpg

MugenBulldog-4_zpssc0zagrv.jpg

Edited by johninderby

Sway bars, brackets and air shocks fitted. Decided to keep the air shocks as they're an essential part of the original look and they did clean up nicely and still work properly.

The plastics are in great condition, still flexible and not the slightest bit brittle. Have to keep reminding myself this thing is 30 years old. The construction may be a little primitive by todays standards but the quality of the materials used is first rate.

John

MugenBulldog-7_zpsbvf1vih9.jpg

Edited by johninderby

• 9 months later...

Finally managed to find some original NOS Mugen Bulldog tyres and they should be arriving from the US in a couple of weeks. They haven't been made in nearly 30 years and a new unused set are considered as unobtainable nowadays so they'll be used for display purposes only. They're an odd size that will only fit the Mugen wheels. Time to get the restoration finished I suppose.  ;)

John

$_57.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...