• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is my engine OK?

andyknight

Quite a vague topic I know but i took this vid this afternoon after re-assmebling the front end of my car.  This car has had only 1.5 tanks through it since new, tx set to 40% throttle for running in and it has some castrol stuff from halfords in it at 25:1 with standard BP unleaded.

https://cf6b427b2c5c0d46f0925068bbeb180b7b14e8ac.googledrive.com/host/0BydkETMLZI2-ZmpPS0phRmZTOFk/VIDEO0001.m4v

My concern is the blue smoke.  LSN is to about 1 1/4 and letting it out any more starts to flood the engine and bog it down.  I thought the idle sounds about right in the video so I haven't screwed the LSN in any further but there does seem to be alot of blue smoke when I rev it.  I don't know a huge amount about 2 stroke engines so am I worrying about nothing?

Ta

Edited by andyknight

Yep idle is a little high. Dont worry about the smoke. If you leave it ticking over the oil builds up so when you rev it

you get more smoke.

They dont like just sitting there ticking over.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, i wasn't trying to do any tuning to be honest, just checking everything was still operational after having the clutch bell etc off.

I'm going to run another tank through it tomorrow limited to be about 60% throttle and then take it from there.   My only concern was whether I had ring trouble but you guys have put my mind at ease about that.

As always, this forum is great :hahadance:

You mix oil with the petrol...and you burn it. With a 2 stroke motor that happens by design.

Oil smoke is normal.

It's not like a 4-stroke motor where the oil lives elsewhere, and only gets burnt when it finds it's way past the valve guides or piston rings.

• Like 2