• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

Yeah the SSD are supposed to be just as good, not as easy to access gears for greasing though.

But you'd be happy with either. I went cheap skate and got the cheapest Vanquish axles, still cheaper than SSD. But I also like the look of the stock axles.

11 hours ago, shaunm said:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/141844367232

Any thaughts on these? Still liking that vanquish unit though to many choices :crying:

I was looking at these; I do like the look of centered axles and these are cheaper than the Vanquish Currie ones. I contacted the guy at RCBitz who could get them for £110 if you don't fancy running the risk of customs taxes etc.

If I were to go ally rear axle the SSD one is the one I'd go for, scale looks wise I think it's the best out there!. The SSD stuff I've had has always been top quality/excellent finish and beefy!

RCMart have them for $110 + $10 postage, so around £82, with no threat of duty and usually 1wk delivery!

An absolute steal imo!

http://www.rcmart.com/ssd00052-wide-diamond-centered-yeti-black-p-63061.html

The only niggle is the squared front facing bottom edge on the pumpkin, which could possibly snag whilst crawling. However, they've addressed this with a cool looking bolt on diff cover, which works beautifully by all accounts and helps protect the pumpkin, so worth having either way!

Thanks for all your thaughts chaps, I'll wait until I'm back from Wales and I've spanked the diff on the replacement parts Asia tees are sending then I'll look to order the ssd unit.

22 minutes ago, shaunm said:

Thanks for all your thaughts chaps, I'll wait until I'm back from Wales and I've spanked the diff on the replacement parts Asia tees are sending then I'll look to order the ssd unit.

I'll be eager to see your thoughts on the SSD if you do get one. It could tempt me, even though I don't need it- this RC park creates an incredibly powerful urge to spend money, sometimes completely out of the blue! :storm:

2 hours ago, J.A.Son said:

I'll be eager to see your thoughts on the SSD if you do get one. It could tempt me, even though I don't need it- this RC park creates an incredibly powerful urge to spend money, sometimes completely out of the blue! :storm:

I know exactly what you mean:lol: the yeti so far is around £1100+ by no means my only rc but hay no pockets in a shroud

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update on the top cad axle, Asia tees have sent me a new pinion under waranty, to be fair it does look a more robust gear than the original, also whilst the axle was in bits I've locktighted all the machine screws I also noticed the original mesh was out so I've sorted that with shims and with a small dab of marine grease it runs a treat, now I just need to give it a good run in the truck!

• 3 weeks later...

What 3s Lipo packs are you guys using for your yeti's?

I could do with an extra pack, and although I'm really pleased with the Gens Ace I use they're not longer an option :boredlook:

Been looking at the Turnigy Nanotecs 5000mAh 45-90c £40 from HK. They claim length to be 150mm, which is the maximum for the yeti, so should be ok. However, I've read they actually come up bigger- More like 158mm?!!

Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated ;)

J

On 13/06/2016 at 09:57, J.A.Son said:

What 3s Lipo packs are you guys using for your yeti's?

I could do with an extra pack, and although I'm really pleased with the Gens Ace I use they're not longer an option :boredlook:

Been looking at the Turnigy Nanotecs 5000mAh 45-90c £40 from HK. They claim length to be 150mm, which is the maximum for the yeti, so should be ok. However, I've read they actually come up bigger- More like 158mm?!!

Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated ;)

J

I use the zippy 5000 mah hard case pack, I've had to remove the cross strap and fit a velcro strap in its place because of height issues, I also made rubber bump stops fitted to the battery to stop it sliding side to side.

20150316_195239_zpsswg3thcv.jpg

Edited by shaunm

Anyone know if GPM knuckles, c hubs and axle lockouts for the yeti are any good? Gonna buy some upgrades for mine soon, anything else i should put on the list? (within reason! My wallet isnt a bottomless pit!)  Its a box stock kit version.

With the hubs and knuckles you will find you need to space the front wheels out wider I did on mine but apart from that they have been fine, also if  your buying from Asia tees gpm parts have a 365 day waranty which I've had to use and it's been spot on!

On 6/20/2016 at 18:22, shaunm said:

With the hubs and knuckles you will find you need to space the front wheels out wider I did on mine but apart from that they have been fine, also if  your buying from Asia tees gpm parts have a 365 day waranty which I've had to use and it's been spot on!

Cheers Shaun, ill put 'em on my list. So just put alloy hub adapters in the wheels that space them out more? Im running the stock kit wheels on mine.

Edited by thatRCguy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got a couple good pics of my yeti the other day. Thought id finally post a picture of it: 

DSC_05391_zpshhmeleqm.jpg

Sorry its such a far out picture bit i thought it would look good with the surroundings etc. This was taken on the north side of the pier on Saltburn Beach, with the pier in the background.

Edited by thatRCguy
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

20170501_143725_zps9rl0o3ba.jpg

Time to revive the thread and an update, I've finally got to use the yeti again it's been nearly 6 months in mothballs but this weekend saw it out and about, great news I hear you say but oh dear the top cad rear axle!!!!!!! It's cream cheese firstly not long after getting it the diff gears ate themselves which were replaced under warranty great! But it's only had about 4-6 packs through it and it's all gone again after I reshimed it tightened it all and thread locked the screws, in other words after giving it a thorough service it's broken, screws came loose and the end lockers/tubed have twisted so one moves back and forth pivoting around the top and bottom fixings, oh yes and it sounds like the diff gears have gone again,  so the plan is to refit the original axle with its HD gears and fit beef tubes and new lockers, and then try and use it!! Looking at the original supplier they no longer sell that axle, which I'm not surprised as I would expect I'm not alone with reliability issues, and as it's been a while I'm not perusing a warranty claim once bitten and all that!!! That's not to say the supplier have not been excellent, they have its not there fault I suspect I also had a hard landing didn't help (it bent the diff cover/guard).

Having now opened up the case I  can see the pinion has been warn down badly, so I can confirm the top cad axle for the yeti is very poor quality and not worth the money!

Edited by shaunm

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2017 at 22:44, Oh How Original said:

They're a niche thing though.. Kinda.

You have to appreciate what they can do and what they are for, rather than trying to make them do things they're not meant to.

You thinking of adding the 1/10 to your XL?

yeah thinking about it, how much would you sell yours? :D 

Edited by froggy8

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

anyone know the difference with the kit and rtr?

Main differences:

Wheels and tyres, HD gears, CVD's and proper turnbuckles (rod ends are a bit rubbish though).

Think thats it.

• Like 1