• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Paint Fell off the Bodyshell? Say wut?

Sk8inDuck

I recently bought a rusted, broken Bullet flux off someone, fixed it up gave it a new body shell, the works.  I went out to drive it.  I rolled it, as can only be expected with my driving skills.  I went to turn it back over.  This is when I realised that vast amounts of the fresh black paint had flaked, and literally just

Google how to paint a lexan body shell.

All of the above are correct in some way.

Must be incorrect paint / poor application.

Lexan is used as its flexible. Lexan paint is made to flex. Normal paint won't.

Al.

I had that once, brand new paint job, drove it through an icy puddle and as it emerged from the other side about 80% of the paint just flew off! Hilarious now, not so at the time.

I now use wire wool to roughen up the surface, that and make sure you wash in soapy water thoroughly!

I have had similar with mine the first time I painted a shell, admittedly I used car spray paint and just thought it would work OK....it didnt.

Suffice to say, paint your brand new shell with car spray paint then jump 30ft into the air and land on a crossbar and most of the paint will fall off LOL.

I painted a standard lexan Bodyshell, the one specifically for the bullet st. The paint that fell off was a can of 100ml tamiya TS-6 Matt black spray. I suspect my prep was at fault. I also put a coat of halfords grey primer as an undercoat, (maybe slightly ironically) for durability... maybe that affected it?

Lexan shells need polycarbonate paint ( Tamiya PS ) and you paint the inside of the shell. No 'undercoat' as you back the paint...so it's an 'overcoat' technically!

Tamiya acrylics will never stick properly to polycarbonate, as they are just not designed for the job. Halfords primer is just another acrylic based paint. Surface prep not a factor....the paint just would never stick for long

• Like 3