• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hawks XXXD VIP :D

b_hawk111

so as i haven't updated in a while i thought i best put a post up with my new chassis :)

after keeping on with my ms for ages, I felt I had got to the point where i was either going to have to spend a lot of money upgrading my ms... or just move on to a different chassis :) 

So when a nice XXXD vip rear motor, with quite a few upgrades, a box of spares, shell wheels and tyres came up at a pretty reasonable price i jumped on it :D 

When it turned up it all looked pretty good, a little dirty from use etc so it got a full strip and rebuild, with every bearing getting checked and oiled or replaced :) 

2014-06-07155437.jpg

and then got all my electrics in :) 

2014-06-15184417.jpg

2014-06-15184405.jpg

and then got my shell sitting absoliutly sweet on it! 

it could never sit this good before as it was drilled wonky for the ms, but now its drilled straight for the wide damper stays it sits perfect, and so i took it to soul and took some pics! 

2014-06-21195922.jpg

Ill do another post later with the since then bits, only one upgrade so far which was the carbon battery strap, as that elastic band got annoying in about 3 battery changes! 

So here is my chassis after my one upgrade I have bought so far, the carbon battery strap!

the elastic band drove me mad in no time at all, the carbon one works so much better! and looks sweet! 

2014-06-22180839-1.jpg

and one of it next to my 1/8th nitro buggy! 

2014-06-22180834.jpg

2014-06-22180839.jpg

bit of beauty and the best going on! 

2014-06-22180925.jpg

and then re did all my wire braiding with one of the 40 metres I have in the shed! looks so much neater :) 

2014-08-09154316.jpg

2014-08-09154321.jpg

2014-08-09154332.jpg

and one of mine and my mates cars down at soul :)

2014-05-31121947.jpg

shall update as and when more stuff happens! only thing next to do is rebuild the red shocks and get them set up nice for carpet, then try and get a good tune in the blue ones for tarmac :) 

Rebuilt the red shocks this evening and get them all fitted and dialed back in on the chassis, just need to get some proper track time in now to set then properly!

20140817_211355.jpg

20140817_211401.jpg

20140817_211405.jpg

They really are, the design harkens back to grip racers of the early 2000's when people were converting Xrays and a like. These chassis aren't developed for drifting so are really snappy and aggressive as ultimately they aren't balanced to go sideways meaning they take some work to keep them there but with some good set up can hold an angle and snap back and forth really well. The shift to midship layouts was simply to aid smooth drifting and make it look more realistic, so its arguable if these newer chassis are 'better' or not. 

My only question about the XXX is how well does it shift weight? The electronics are very much in the middle and there is a small gap before you get to the towers, as a result I always wondered how well they do it. 

Looks like a solid setup :) these XXX chassis sound so aggressive!

It is aggressive! and its awesome! i like it much more than my MS, but even that was an awesome chassis! 

They really are, the design harkens back to grip racers of the early 2000's when people were converting Xrays and a like. These chassis aren't developed for drifting so are really snappy and aggressive as ultimately they aren't balanced to go sideways meaning they take some work to keep them there but with some good set up can hold an angle and snap back and forth really well. The shift to midship layouts was simply to aid smooth drifting and make it look more realistic, so its arguable if these newer chassis are 'better' or not. 

My only question about the XXX is how well does it shift weight? The electronics are very much in the middle and there is a small gap before you get to the towers, as a result I always wondered how well they do it. 

how do you mean shift the weight? 

Just two pics tonight of my exhaust on my shell now sorted! looks much better, and hopefully it will stay sticking out rather than get pushed inside the shell on every knock! 

2014-08-18175535.jpg

2014-08-18175545.jpg

Just need to get it sliding tomorrow now! 

Well when you brake, power off, accelerate, turn in or power over the car leans and shifts weight. It allows you to control where the drag is. Going fast out of a corner and need to switch direction? A quick tap of the brakes or power off throws the weight forward and gives your front wheels more grip and turn in ability. When all the weight its right in the middle you severely dampen this ability, control and the effects of it. I just wondered how well you can get it to shift weight even with a tight suspension set up. Weight shifting is controlled with tiny blips of throttle, brake and hard steering. It's useful is you are also about to hit an incline or drop and it can stop speed loss etc. 

The xxx is the first of my chassis that you can actually see the weight shift on acceleration and braking, but that all depends on shock settings.

At the moment i have my shocks set quite hard so it doesn't dip as much as before, but it means you get more instant grip and take off, but it is a bit more washy in the turns :) 

it is balanced pretty well though, i much prefer it to my ms, but its all person preference!  

Oh yeah I understand it's shock set up related but even with hard shocks there is some weight shift and for drifting I find it to be useful. I was intrigued because the weight it just so low. On a lot of midship set ups the weight is higher thanks to the motor position and you find the weight transitions can be really aggressive. 

• 11 months later...

Thought I Should really update this since I havnt posted in nearly a year! 

not loads done to mine in terms of upgrades, still the same chassis, same shell, same electrics, but I have done some major layout alterations to the chassis with a change in batteries! 

Im now running thunder power shorty batteries, and keeping the nano tech lipos for my truck.

so i stripped everything down, cleaned and oiled all the bearings, and then drilled the chassis.

2015-02-14%2019.48.55.jpg

Then extended and braided the ESC wires to make everything fit nicely! 

2015-02-15%2019.41.27.jpg

stuck it all back together, a couple of spacers here and there and its sorted! 

2015-02-18%2022.01.05.jpg

2015-02-18%2022.01.37.jpg

2015-02-18%2022.02.11.jpg

2015-02-18%2022.02.26.jpg

So I have moved the battery back, moved the servo to the battery side in the front, then the ESC was moved to the front on the other side, with the receiver in between the motor and ESC under the wires, keeping it all neat! 

It drifts lovely now, perfect wight distribution, and the batteries are awesome! 

it just goes at full power until cut off, it doesnt lose its punch in the first 5 mins like the nano techs did! 

and a couple with my old shell still going strong! 

PA205317.jpg

PA205340.jpg

Ta! I havnt felt the need to change anything on it recently as it drifts so good! 

Only thing I find is alot of the other guys are quicker than me so I need to work on getting some more grip maybe to keep my speed up! 

other than that its perfect! 

That looks really tidy. Nice work!

Was it nerve racking drilling the deck out?

Cheers mate, it had made the wiring much better and easier too which is a bonus :)

Nah it was ok, just went and bought brand new drill bits and then checked, double checked and triple checked before I drilled the deck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nah fairly patiently waiting!

Got a new shell for my buggy im doing right now so not overly fussed!

Still looking forward to it though! Especially how I've seen the first colour in the flesh