• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

new to me MST drifter,

heavyleftthumb

Hey guys and gals. after gettign back into the local drifting scene in sheffield and making some good friends, i was enjoying running my trusty steed TT01 and although it is good fun and almost never breaks,  i was looking for something different, I tried fitting the TT01 with a one way shaft and a cs kit, and although it was a cs drift car, due to other limitions and like adjustable camber and toe in it was nigh on impossible to control. so i then bought a sakura D3 and ran it a few times but then one or two things needed replacing mainly front belts. and front uj's and it began to get a little annoying waiting for stuff to arrive.

i then got offer this beauty from a friend, an almost totally hopped up MST MS-01.

20140806_055819_zpsnhrpdwta.jpg

20140806_055827_zpsgjdtzwst.jpg

shes a beauty and doesnt deserve a drift driver like me lol

I am yet to get her up and running as waiting for some funds to get a decent brushless setup in it. i was going to get one from hobby king, but after the last one i got which lasted all but 20 mins i deciding it would be crime to grace this car with inferior kit.

Comments always welcome

• Like 1

I expect some s****y graphics on the shell of this beasty ;)

i will try pal lol

Lovely man, can't wait to see this build thread!

cheers bud, i hope to do it justice. 

Im kind of lost now i got the wheels sorted but until now i have only used basic drift tyres. ansmann ones and r2 hobbies el cheapo ones. there are so many out there, any ideas on whats a decent tarmac drift tyre?

I had this chat with some of the local lads by me seeded 1st and 2nd in the current uk drift comps and they pointed me in the direction of the MST GA26 tires in the hardest comp. they said they will be hard to learn with but it keeps the slides pretty slow so kinda suiting the learning curve of CS drifting but the added bonus is they take forever to wear down 

thats just my 2pence worth anyway, and sweet ride man looks ace  :thumbsup:

lol i had all that when i started looking it gave me about 5 good hours of reading and one hell of a head ache and i still dont really feel like im much further ahead but the lads i drift with are like a fountain of knowledge so i can always fall back on them lol just something i forgot to mention the hardest ones cant be used on carpet its the hard ones they run on carpet competitions, i think

Edited by WreckitRhodey

As far as gearing etc you are looking for a FDR around 6-7. There is a calculator on drift mission for belt FDR and counter steer under the tools section. 

I would always say start with HPI T drifts and go from there. They are a good middle of the road tyre and you can work out what you need from them. They provide a great frame of reference as everyone knows them! 

Toe you want about 3 in the rear and then adjust the front to suit, camber, you want more negative in the rear than the front. More camber will allow the back to swing out more. I will have to set up guide done ASAP!

cheers for the replies guys. i have purchase some hpi t-drifts as reference point. figners crosses the electronic arrive shortly too. im getting itch fingers here.

on another note was looking at my batteries and while i have a few which are used for other cars and models, the lipo packs i have got are the brick shaped ones with wires coming out of the end, this then interferes with the battery holder and shell. think i might to sell a couple and get some brick pack lipos with the connectors on top to make it easier.

If you do get brick packs with removable wires just remember don't store the batteries with the wires in as they can build up static and sometimes the gold coating can get reverse electroplated due to negative static build up and cheap plating. Also if the wires aren't plugged in and one was to make contact with with a plug and another wire they can short. Seen it happen at a track in a bag of 5 or 6 batteries. Whole bag went up, pretty nasty. 

cheers for the heads up pal but im pretty safe with the lipos. all packed away safely and securely in an old ammo box.

brushless system has been ordered. i decided to go for a speed passion reventon 10.5 sensored system a lot of the local drift guys run these so decided to opt for one so i can still help and tips if needed :thumbsup: and seeing as i ordered from modelsport i will get a decent warranty as the last sensored brushless i got from hobby king was dead within 10 mins and the hoops you have to jump through to get it returned is unbelievable. any hows buy decent buy once i think the new moto is.

as for servos i torn between the alturn 752 which i have used before and the other weapon of choice is the savox 0252 i think which a few people use on here? anyone any preference.?

hmmm opted for the savox 0252 servo. seems to be nice and quick and do the job. i will keep the alturn for a spare, (always good to have a back up)

was a good day as the brushless combo arrived today too.

20140813_125936_zpsmo5vz6q5.jpg

Cant wait to get this fitted and installed and get some sideways practice done.

I have heard that on some brushless you should cut the wires. as the motor and esc are pretty close on this model. do you guys reckon it could be shortened to keep it neat.

On another note i was well please as when i was looking at placing the combo order it shows the esc unsoldered. When it arrived it already has wires fixed and even a deans plug too on the power cable and a cooling fan too. well done modelsport :thumbsup:

right so got some time get thsi all installed. not the neatest install but i dare say there will be some swapping and changing didnt want to go made with the neatness , as long as all is safe and not near the belt. then all is good.

20140820_235312_zps2hrcuasq.jpg

the care is pretty much dialled in and runs and drifts like a treat. a few minor things to tweek though. need to get me a front belt tensioner and i was looking at front one ways and decided against until a friend was having a go (what can i say im too trusting) and it started to drive funny. brought it in and seems like the only not hopped up part (front diff)  has given upt the ghost.

20140820_235353_zpsijueyhz8.jpg

oh well its one of those things i guest. it was going too good lol

I cut mine and re soldered the connectors on no problems, nice and short, looks neat! Even do servo wires too :)

Cool i may well do this pal. i did ask but go no reply i vaguely remember some haveing to keep the length of cable, i have cut them before but this was cheapo brushless sets....oh hang on this set was damn cheap too lol. oh well better safe then sorry.

Get the front one way in there, you'll love it. What CS are you running?

You don't need a front belt tensioner, bearing holders on the diff are off centered so you can turn them to adjust the belt tension ;)

Its currently running 1.5 pal. and it so nice to drift. Yeah i stripped it today i see they are cammed on the diff holder, i will see about tensioning it up with these before buying the tensioner...cheers for heads up pal :thumbsup:

My rear spool did exactly the same thing, it just suddenly stopped drifting in one direction. As the drive shaft became disconnected.

Got a nice new seperating spool from rc mart, was

• 4 weeks later...