• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MST MS01 RTR+

scratcher

I thought I'd pop this on here. It's just a long winded write up of how my little ready to run chassis has progressed :)

Edit... finally got around to putting the photos up :)

20131214_182208_zps0ffe4vtc.jpg

IMG_20131214_181947_zpsac8fpcrr.jpg

IMG_20131214_195043_zpsvvldskah.jpg

My first mod was an adjustable aluminium belt pulley as the rear belt came into contact with the motor, and adjustable turn buckles.

DSCN0510_zps79fe5148.jpg

Then my birthday came around and rather than just go out and get wild as usual, I done something productive and bought parts for my RC drifter :)
Aluminum steering arms and decent dampers (these turned out to be the best buy to date!).

20140125_114907_zpsztneju5b.jpg

The steering arms made it look extra jazzy and gave me a little more steering lock.

20140125_142836_zpstgaisugx.jpg

The car stayed like this for a few weeks and I was happy.

IMG_20140103_145939_zps76cnjthb.jpg

Then I learned a little about springs and shock oils. I still have a LOT to learn but it's so much fun.

My servo gave up on me so a Savox 1252 found it's way into my shopping basket. And more springs  :thumbsup:

20140308_102843_zps8pud2oym.jpg

The plastic ball joint parts weren't letting the arms travel very freely so I upgraded to full steel balls all round. Everything is so much smoother now!

DSCN0580_zps6e8bfb92.jpg

DSCN0582_zpse076a32c.jpg

I was running the car in the underground car park where I live and got knocked into a nice solid concrete column. 
The rear spool took the grunt of it :(

20140412_140741_zpsemqf0arx.jpg

Ah well, more ally bits then :)

20140412_130021_zpsx9oxo7er.jpg

I wanted a car that I had to control a bit more and went up to a 1.82 CS with an 11t front pulley and shorter belt.

DSCN0803_zps1527e6a8.jpg

The final part of the chassis changes was a set of 60 degree drive shafts.
Taking full lock from here.

20140716_191853_zpsilxz2blq.jpg

To here :)

20140716_205329_zpszagoo850.jpg

And here's how it looks now.

DSCN0800_zps7e2517ca.jpg

DSCN0802_zps8368367d.jpg

DSCN0801_zps62650dc4.jpg

DSCN0802_zps8368367d.jpg

DSCN0798_zpsd5a89e61.jpg

I've bought a brushless motor and ESC but i just need to meet up with the guy to get them. We're good at missing each other.

I got carried away and got a nice Sanwa MT4 transmitter too :)

So it's not so much an RTR now but it feels great :)

Cheers for reading. It was a bit long winded!
Edited by scratcher
  • Like 1

Oh, I also got the bug of making shells :)

My first one was a Pandora C35 Laurel.

DSCN0625_zpse9750312.jpg

DSCN0631_zpsf0a0c0d6.jpg

The plan...

Transparent red.

Gold.

Backed with Black.

DSCN0634_zps6293ed29.jpg

Don't try spraying a shell on a balcony in the dark. It won't turn out well!

DSCN0639_zps38711392.jpg

It was my first time painting a shell so I was fairly happy with the 'garage spray job' look to it.

DSCN0661_zps116061c9.jpg

How it sits now.

DSCN0797_zpscdb8c34e.jpg

I got an AE86 shell to try and get the colour I had originally intended making the last time.

Lots of careful masking and patience... And painting in some light helped!

I made it two-tone red and gold to give it a bit of retro flavour  B)

DSCN0739_zpsc621d0ba.jpg

DSCN0740_zpsfc1febbe.jpg

DSCN0736_zpsc304819e.jpg

Put a few finishing touches to it and mounted up.

DSCN0794_zps3d41f45d.jpg

And hanging out with Miley at Soul RC.

IMG_20140716_210015-1_zpssxiwtskh.jpg

I'll be running it at Soul tomorrow for the big AE86 meet :)

• Like 1

Cheers guys :)

Miley's wrecking ball is hilarious. It hangs nicely over the edge of the track so you can cut a corner and tag it with the back end. It's really hard!

I remembered I have a little video of the last track at Soul. Ignore the crashes... I cracked under pressure  :whistling:

Edited by scratcher

Sweet man, looks ace the old school AE86's are the one. It was my first shell I made. 

dont it make ya feel bad when ya give the wall/ barrier a big tank slapper,  It looks good tho pal , nice drifting  :thumbsup:

Edited by WreckitRhodey
  • Like 1

Scars make the bodies look cool! All the D1 guys are constantly tearing off bumpers as they get a little too close to a wall. You had some really awesome drifts there, even a few that were almost rear entries on the back corner! Looking awesome man, shell looks great.

Soul always makes me laugh a little when I see everyone in socks, I understand why but it never fails to make me smile. It's like being at someones house haha.

• Like 2

Cheers guys :) it does sucks when you clip and spin out. Especially when someone is following your line. But it makes it better when you get it clean the next time.

I loved that track layout, the drifting looks a little more realistic now with the 1.8 CS. I'll have to get a video on the new track.

Haha, I know what you mean about the socks! Some people even rock up with slippers! I'm usually the one with stupid socks on that gets laughed at :)

The Corolla day yesterday was so good! Some good drifting going on inside and some lovely cars and BBQ outside.

We got some pictures of the little cars with big ones too :)

20140802_164523_zpsw0ldyzd5.jpg

And I bought an ammo case to keep my Lipos in. Just in case ;)

20140802_211526_zps7iukftd1.jpg

I had a spare ten minutes so done a little job I'd wanted to do for a while now.

The sides of the spoiler on my C35 shell always looked too small and silly. I wanted some that looked big and silly instead so made these up, painted them Tamiya gloss black and glued them on  :thumbsup:

20140812_182219_zpskzpcxuxv.jpg

20140812_182207_zpshf4mfv3r.jpg

So before

DSCN0797_zpscdb8c34e.jpg

And after

20140812_182246_zps3xy8euji.jpg

I was being lazy and didn't fit the body but you get the idea  :hahadance:

Let me know what you think :)

I should be there on Sat with my C35 also. Top for you, strengthen up the front of you C35. Its so easy to crack it either side of where the rad is.

Edited by teshi

looking good pal. i always wondered who made the big silly spoiler parts, it never dawned on me until last week how they were done lol

Haha, I always thought people bought the spoilers like that until I looked at one properly.

I machined mine from aircraft grade milk bottle and painted them ;)

I should be there on Sat with my C35 also. Top for you, strengthen up the front of you C35. Its so easy to crack it either side of where the rad is.

Cool :) I'll see you up there then. My girlfriend's working Saturday so I'll be there from the morning till around 7.

Yeah, I learned the hard way with my R32 shell. Now they all run aluminium foil tape and sticky back foam on the inside :)

Edited by scratcher

Thanks man  B)

i made another slightly different pair this afternoon. A tiny bit bigger too so I can swap them out eventually.

Cut out some milk bottle, drew up a shape with a fine marker and square.

20140813_173138_zpscz4vzfpm.jpg

Cut out with some scissors, ready to paint. I might put some carbon vinyl on these ones.

20140813_173402_zpswkfvjdxx.jpg

Ordered up some HPI T-Drifts for car park fun :)

Another adventure to Soul today where I met Harlen and Teshi from the forum :)

And a couple of changes to my car.

First up was an adjustable turnbuckle for the steering - servo arm. It had never been centered properly from when I started.

And I finally got my motor and ESC :)

Hobbywing V3 and 10.5t motor combo. So much smoother!

20140816_153622_zpsn8bcegka.jpg

20140816_194306_zpsbefkuuy2.jpg

20140816_194313_zpsrlsrz7ct.jpg

And the C35 with it's new spoiler fins.

20140816_130031_zpsteti31tr.jpg

After all these upgrades how much is the car costing you now? Wouldnt you be better of if you bought a ms01d pro in the first place? But I suppose it is fun getting upgrades in the post and fitting them!

isn't that like asking a women her age lol. Tbh the pro is and vip version are top money. i think hes aiming to replace what is needed to make it handle or driver better. or just enjoys the tinker time

isn't that like asking a women her age lol. Tbh the pro is and vip version are top money. i think hes aiming to replace what is needed to make it handle or driver better. or just enjoys the tinker time

Oh if so ignore the question sorry lol. Yep there is a big price difference and I see what you mean he enjoys fitting new parts as I am exactly the same :)

After all these upgrades how much is the car costing you now? Wouldnt you be better of if you bought a ms01d pro in the first place? But I suppose it is fun getting upgrades in the post and fitting them!

Not as much as you might think ;)

I've only really swapped the electrics out as the old items have broken. Like the gears stripped in the original servo, I kept breaking the springs in the transmitter and the brushed motor and ESC kept overheating and run very slowly.

Exactly :) I started out with a friend who jumped straight up to the Pro chassis and he has ended up spending much more than I have over all. I didn't have the money to buy all the good electrics and chassis at the time and I'm glad in a way. This chassis got me going and now has everything it needs to make it handle perfectly and it's now very capable . It's super light and having tried out a few Pro and VIP set ups, I really like the flex from the plastic lower deck. If they made the brushless RTR when I bought mine I would have gone for it but the brushed gear was fine.

It's all about the settings anyway and now I can tune the chassis just how I need it :)

The thing is, even a bog standard RTR is good ONCE you tune it. One of the locals, Jake ran an RTR well tuned and had great technique who ended up knocking some of the well specced chassis out of competitions easy. They key is the right parts and the right tune. Flex and response is totally different in the materials and everyone will find something totally unique.

Good to meet ya dude, sorry I wasnt hanging out at much, just getting used to tuning and technique again. So much ballache!

Yeah, the RTR is very good out of the box. There's a few upgrades that will make it smoother and easier to set up but it works without.

Techniques the main part. I've been trying to teach myself koragashi and it's so hard to get it right.

It was good to meet you dude, you seemed very busy setting your car up. You were back into the swing of it quickly.

Ah never really forget, just need to shake off the cobwebs. Got to get back into the korogashi myself but JR (lanky guy who came with me with the red RX7) commended your driving so kudos since he is a very skilled driver. What you did by running infront and behind people like that will help you master korogashi easily. Keep it up!

I'll hopfully meet up with some of you guys at soul at some point! I need to get back into it properly, still havn't got used to my new chassis yet! 30th of August in thinking for practice, then maybe the comp next day :D