• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Phantom range ?

S40bul

Been pushing the range a bit on the phantom lately (FPV) , seem to be getting well over the recomended 300m mark ok on stock set up

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZytDzD6AA

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FK2yVaXsK7o

• Like 1

Must admit I've had a fair distance with mine :-) but now I got the 600mw transmitter so should double it easy :-) heard its over a mile range :-0

Must admit I've had a fair distance with mine :-) but now I got the 600mw transmitter so should double it easy :-) heard its over a mile range :-0

Nice , was thinking of upgrading Tx /Rx to futaba. I've watched a couple of YouTube vids which makes the task look a bit less daunting ....... What you running with ??

Planning an OSD when back in stock , then can keep a closer eye on the battery level ect. Never really pushed it by the 8 minute mark

Nice , was thinking of upgrading Tx /Rx to futaba. I've watched a couple of YouTube vids which makes the task look a bit less daunting ....... What you running with ??

Planning an OSD when back in stock , then can keep a closer eye on the battery level ect. Never really pushed it by the 8 minute mark

Got one running stock and one running a DX6I 

Only use mine with Fatshark and Gopro but currently awaiting on a GPS unit off a mate of mine  :thumbsup:

When i use my FPV i use my iphone as a timer of around 7 mins then i know i got at least 2 mins to get back  :yes:

• Like 1

FPV range you can push way beyond a mile and a half, BUT 

the problem lays with your antennas , them rubber duck antenna are useless.

so first off you need a decent cloverleaf thats correct for your TX, 

next is your RX or whats call the ground base, your going to need a Patch antenna.

this is like a flat panel and gives out a small cone beam, fly out of this beam you loose signal.

now with the above method your focusing the beam alot more and this means a longer range ability, but

at a cost to a smaller cone beam size and the constant moving of patch antenna to have best focus of beam onto target.

FPV range you can push way beyond a mile and a half, BUT

the problem lays with your antennas , them rubber duck antenna are useless.

so first off you need a decent cloverleaf thats correct for your TX,

next is your RX or whats call the ground base, your going to need a Patch antenna.

this is like a flat panel and gives out a small cone beam, fly out of this beam you loose signal.

now with the above method your focusing the beam alot more and this means a longer range ability, but

at a cost to a smaller cone beam size and the constant moving of patch antenna to have best focus of beam onto target.

It all gets a bit 'James Bond like' Tamiya ....

I take it the cloverleaf / patch antenna set up is for flying the thing and not for the video link ??

Got a couple of spironet antennas for the video tx / rx which made a huge difference

It all gets a bit 'James Bond like' Tamiya ....

I take it the cloverleaf / patch antenna set up is for flying the thing and not for the video link ??

Got a couple of spironet antennas for the video tx / rx which made a huge difference

nope for the vid link buddy, you keep a planner cloverleaf on the quad side.

at the ground base your antenna changes to a patch antenna. it goes from the clover leaf design to a flat panel 

what its doing is focusing the beam to a narrow angle, and adds that extra range, the beams angle is less

but range becomes more. 

check the video below at Ali's backpack antenna, notice its a flat panel not a clover.

then look if he shows his aircraft, notice they carry the cloverleaf. 

what this does is turns you into an antenna tracker

nope for the vid link buddy, you keep a planner cloverleaf on the quad side.

at the ground base your antenna changes to a patch antenna. it goes from the clover leaf design to a flat panel 

what its doing is focusing the beam to a narrow angle, and adds that extra range, the beams angle is less

but range becomes more. 

check the video below at Ali's backpack antenna, notice its a flat panel not a clover.

Ahh nice Tamiya, got you now. Cheers

Take it the OSD has a signal strength showing so you can turn to keep the patch antenna pointing in right direction

yes osd overlays data. 

your able to set them up and choose what you want shown on the screen layover.

alt - speed - airspeed - gps signal - voltage - amp draw etc etc.

if say everything goes to pot, you loose the vid feed like a good 1/4 mile out.

you scan body to try get the cone beam  but cant, ( this happens in a few seconds )

you will auto start to search a signal, banking craft either left or right and back towards home.

if not you slam the get out of jail switch ( RTH ) , and wait for craft to come back, at same time keeping eye

on goggles/lcd for the signal return from vid

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

Well ...... Had the phantom failsafe kick in yesterday. Was FPV'n along a cliff edge when I must have dropped below line of sight behind a tree. Lost video link and Tx control ... Wooops !

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rsEZDzH56D4

The phantom stopped in its tracks , flew vertical then started its return to home ...... Where I regained control before it landed

What a bit of kit !

Yeah they have a new feature when the sticks are not moved for 20 seconds OR the phantom recognises no movement from sticks for 20 seconds fail safe kicks in :-)

Never needed it or needed to hit fail safe but have tested ;-) and can say mine also works a treat :-)

[quote  

here you go S40bul, i adjusted link to direct play .

yep handy is that rth, i did notice your on the hill top nearly and the craft was getting below the 

surface horizon.

New transmitter arrived today , hopefully will get it hooked up to the Phantom soon ........ And hopefully without any glitches

null-3.jpg

Should be a tad better for range

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to hooking up the Futaba T8J to the Phantom (Was stretching the range a bit at 400m with the stock set up) Had a wee range check today of the T8J and was still getting good signal at over 1km distance .... Well happy