• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi mini 8ight race build

Pearce

Dan, is the reason you are lacking on the straight but punchy elsewhere because your car is under geared maybe?

Cris

Thanks Chris for the advice ,

I'm

Running standard electrics . Would you suggest the smaller spur ? Larger pinion ?

A few at the club I run with are running the hobby wing 25a esc and fuse ecs paired with standard motors

Any help or guidance is highly appreciated in advance

ID definately try gearing it up 2 teeth and seeing what happens mate. If its slow down the straight gear it up as most of the National racing Mini-8's arent that slow down the straight :)

Cheers mate , in regards to gearing up

That is drop the spur yeah or increase pinion?

You can tell I'm an original nitro junki and born again electric racer ha ha

Sorry mate, didnt realise you were an electric newbie :)

Gear up 2 teeth on the pinion if you can fit the bigger pinion in. The micro forum guys are better knowing to the exact gearing youll need but i would definately try 2 teeth up as a start.

What ESC, motor and LiPos are you using?

Standard mini 8 set up

Use 2s lipos

Rhino

40c burst

1050 mah

Standard pinion and spur , been in to electric last 8 months properly if say , started off 1/8 nitro that I love;)

Tryed indoor 10th last year , didn't like it, was boaring

Micro is addictsble I must say lol

Just in process of building a Losi 8 e for summer , lol so my 2 Losi 8 Nitros will be used as spares lol.

I'll def chuck a bigger pinion first , easier than stripping the slipper out to drop spur . Will it still have responce and acceleration . Guess I'll have to monitor the temps to

Right then

After trying my luck yest I couldn't source a larger pinion

And def won't get one by the weekend

As there's only just over 2 more months of thd indoor season at my club I'm going to drop thd smaller spur in , it's only 2 t smaller do don't know if it will be noticeable . Fingers cross it will be enough to give me edge on the straights

Soon the car will be put in storage , will prob get a benifit of a clean up of the bearings , and that's prob it as it's still pretty new

Maybe I'll invest in a diff speedo and motor combo, they always turn up in the summer cheap on the bay lol

Might also get the rear alloy hinge pins , but I've got spare plastics ..... And not had a prob yet so why fix what's not broken? Surely the cost issue of 20 quid out ways thd minimal notice youl get in set up , at least At my level lol

Ohhh I'm also gonna sort my booking in today for the Swansea micro brca round . Exciting times

Will keep you updated on the spur issue

reading this thread really makes me want one as they seem ideal as indoor racers in the winter months..just dont have any venues round here that do it

You are not that far aware from Stockport are you Lee? They race micros there.

Or just turn up to your local onroad club and get them to stick you in the bottom heat. Thats what I did although they dont like it if you start beating the bigger cars :)

Lee as Chris says , there's loads of clubs that race them

Just turn up and join another heat

Check out micro uk and youl see all the uks micro users , it's a good forum

Anyhow .

Whent to change the spur today to thd smaller one

Buttttttt should have done my research

As it's fitted with the smallest standard lol

Dammmmmmmm

My local model shop also don't have any larger pinions on stock and reslly wanted to try this on Sunday

So the plan is ideally go from a 16t to a 18t

I belive there 0.6 ??? Unless anyone corrects me

Chris? Being the micro expert , can you advise will a carisma one fit and what tooth are they available in ?

f4d2831c.jpg

My sad spur :(

The pinions are 0.5mod, the same as the Associated RC18T pinions :)

At a push you can use a 48dp pinion but it will sound a little noisey :)

The difference between 0.5mod and 48dp is minimal but there IS a difference between them contrary to the belief of some :)

Ive used 48dp on my GT14B and its fine, just sounds abit screechy lol

looking good!! thinking on getting one to race with at club nearby some great points in thread thanks!! what was the part no. for those sweet rpm goodies :thumbsup:

They have them in stock in Manselton models , also jes spares

Ensure you have the short length ones thou or you will need to cutt them

These are idenitical I belive , can't gaurentee , ring them

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=140672545003&cmd=VIDESC

Dull thing , but make sure you do one at a time and measure them, and re do the camber

Hope this helps

Right , I said no more money on this to my self earlier this week

Dammmmmm

I bought carbon top deck

New rally blocks etc

Weep weep

Never mind , all in readiness fir the brca micro national Swansea , that I entered last night

Exciting times

Here's some updated pics ;)

a6d4483f.jpg

Some new goodies, lipid are for a mate thou

b83f34ec.jpg

Sexy rims

63e799e0.jpg

New top deck, Howevervi fitted the body lugs as well as Velcro . So some quick drillIng action

63e799e0.jpg

7f0c24c8.jpg

dde30b48.jpg

Ready to race Sunday

I Also scuffed thd tires up on the patio just to help first few runs up

I will be getting my alloy hexs sun to ;)

Hmmmmmmm what next, maybe a dynamite speedo and motor combo

Or just a bigger pinion as indoor seasons nearly over , tough choices hey

Edited by Pearce

Cheers Lee

Had a interesting day today

Done loads to car

Drop is flush on all screws

Rears a tad lower

Fronts a tad higher

Inolab servos turned down on end points , steering rate reduced to 65%

And finally , at last the rear end no longer kicks out ;( woop woop

I will say though a lighter throttle and gentle adjusted steering has greatly helped this .

Suppose you gotta adjust your driving style to the car

. Tyres worked great , I think I've put to hard sn insert in though , do next time I'll be careful

I've also got a nice set of carbon shock towers to fit tonight I've had new

Also fitted a 17t pinion

Didn't do this till after the final though do not tried it yet, will 1 tooth make that much a difference ? Wd will see

Ohhh nearly forgot !!! I payed 4 quid for a new bumper ....

Needed thou as I found on dodgy landings I. Had no skid plate at the front and was loosing me serious time as u was tumbling

I also scrapped the Losi kit rtr motor mount screws and washers as these came loose and are made of cheese causing me to loose some teeth on my spur, dam those motors are a nightmare to mesh btw!!!

Photo updates tonight or tommor

I also scrapped the Losi kit rtr motor mount screws and washers as these came loose and are made of cheese causing me to loose some teeth on my spur, dam those motors are a nightmare to mesh btw!!!

Mate thats mad as anything because i found that my motor plate had come loose on one side ( the side i couldnt see ) :sly: so was chewing gears for fun and didnt even ralise there was another screw cos it was coverd and yeah mate they are a ballache to mesh took me about an hour and another spur got chewed in the process but seems to be perfect now.

But i have notice that since i changed the rear gearbox that the wheels are looser than the front ones :shockingscary: what i mean is if i spin the right hand front wheel they both spin for a very very small amount but that back wheels spin quite freely any ideas?

Mine are more free on the rear , but thats due to oil in front

Are your bearings sitting tidy ?

Did you only remove the top gear box cover

Was the actual diff removed??

Here's thd pics of the new motor screws ;)

86f6bd36.jpg

Ignore the carpet fibre everywere

I norm clean it with a brush between heats but been fiddling to much today

6bc78a5f.jpg

My new sexy shock towers ;)

I have been offerd a very good deal today

A 25amp ezrun speedo dmd a 5700 kv moto

Hmmmmmmm

Really getting to grips today finally and getting my lines on the ball , 3rd in b final to may I add.

Might just stick with thd 17t pinion and get and 18 just incase

Ps here's my 8 e 1/8 after some sexy wiring and resoldering by a very generous friend. Cheers jamie {jt models }

7eed7f92.jpg

Yeah took the complete diff out to fit new gearbox but did everything the exact same as i did when taking it out :shockingscary: might just be the way they are as didnt really notice before that :sly: