• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage X 4.6 engine back plate (HPI 1426) / roto-start plate (HPI 87119) broken

stevesnaz

I bought my Savage only 4 weeks ago and the engine backplate and roto-start gear casing has broken (see image below)...not very impressed! I searched on this forum and other people have also experienced the same issues.

I've sent an email to MSUK with the photos, so hopefully I'll get the replacement parts free of charge?...

20111002-HPISavageEnginePlateweb2.jpg

Edited by stevesnaz

i would agree that this is pretty unacceptable. they should replace the parts no problem.

but is that the f4.6 engine? as i have the older one (purple heat sink) in my savage and its never skipped a beat. never had any problems with it. i had assumed that all they had done is change the heat sink colour in which case i don't understand how this could be almost common. (you said others had faced the same issue) anyway get in touch with hpi I'm almost certain they should replace the back plate at very least. as for the roto start casing hey may replace it but, at the end of the day its only plastic so is to be expected, as long as it still does its job there should be no problem with a small crack.

i would agree that this is pretty unacceptable. they should replace the parts no problem.

but is that the f4.6 engine? as i have the older one (purple heat sink) in my savage and its never skipped a beat. never had any problems with it. i had assumed that all they had done is change the heat sink colour in which case i don't understand how this could be almost common. (you said others had faced the same issue) anyway get in touch with hpi I'm almost certain they should replace the back plate at very least. as for the roto start casing hey may replace it but, at the end of the day its only plastic so is to be expected, as long as it still does its job there should be no problem with a small crack.

Yes, it is the F4.6...when it was updated they changed the cooling head to anodised grey.

Yes, it is the F4.6...when it was updated they changed the cooling head to anodised grey.

from this though i cant help but wonder ift hey changed the backplate aswell because i have never experienced anything like this before.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this issue in case anyone else has the same problem.

I sent an email to Modelsport UK, who forwarded it to HPI, who in turn sent me a new roto-start case (Part: HPI 87119) and engine cover plate (Part: HPI 1426) free of charge.

• 2 months later...

The very same thing happened to mine today......what a bad day i had today fitted a brand new hi torque servo(spekki) (purchased from Modelsport last week) to my hot bodies lightning and all the gears inside stripped then the backplate on my savage broke :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem today with my savage x4.6 only the cover though the rotastart is fine so will be calling hpi tommorow to see if they will replace it.

I've got a number of those like that so to me it seems a regular thing.

It's poor design there just isn't enough meat around the edge outside of where the bolt goes.

If it turns out to be regular like you stated il get a spare, but this time hpi were quite happy to send me a new one arrived the next day so thanks hpi.