• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

All the bearings are easy to replace if you've got time, the fs is one of the easiest models to work on. Either check and replace as necessary, replace all or wait until next one dies.

• Like 1

Managed to get out for a bit today and used the 2s lipo I got from evssv. The difference is pretty decent as I've been using the stock NiMH batteries. But again, I already want to ramp it up a bit more with a brushless system. Definitely loving the lipos though. 4000mah 30c zippy lipos, last so much longer too, even with the extra power output etc. No picks or video though as my cameraman was still in school lol

Managed to get out for a bit today and used the 2s lipo I got from evssv. The difference is pretty decent as I've been using the stock NiMH batteries. But again, I already want to ramp it up a bit more with a brushless system. Definitely loving the lipos though. 4000mah 30c zippy lipos, last so much longer too, even with the extra power output etc. No picks or video though as my cameraman was still in school lol

Brushless and 3s is a nice speed I would never go back to 2s now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It's a like you're encouraging me to be poor :P Yea 3s will be the goal. Gonna play with 2s for a bit. Then try brushless and see how that goes lol

No doubt in a couple of weeks I'll be brushless on 3s as I have no patience lol.

Can anyone recommend any good tyres for use on wet grass. These stock ones don't seems to get an awful lot of traction.

Edited by Shokka

39 minutes ago, Shokka said:

It's a like you're encouraging me to be poor :P Yea 3s will be the goal. Gonna play with 2s for a bit. Then try brushless and see how that goes lol

No doubt in a couple of weeks I'll be brushless on 3s as I have no patience lol.

Can anyone recommend any good tyres for use on wet grass. These stock ones don't seems to get an awful lot of traction.

Get a 17mm conversion kit and Nanda block tyres.

On 01/13/2017 at 17:51, Shokka said:

I can't get rid of that stupid quote box ^

I'm pretty sure you can get Nanda Blocks on 12mm hex SC wheels. I always found Proline Gladiators to be good on short grass, and just everything else for that matter.

I'm loving my Proline Gladiators too, 30mph+ wheelies on demand across soaking wet grass.  Not the cheapest option though.

I've got some 12mm hex short course Nanda Blocks which fit the Firestorm.  They were a little narrower than the stock tyre but gripped very well on the wet sand I tried them on.  Happy to sell them cheap if you want to try them, PM me.

• Like 1

In need of some advice as usual chaps. I spent a couple of hours last night taking apart a few bits and pieces and found that I could do with changing out the bearings. They were in a right filthy state. I feel like giving the thing some love.

Any recommendations for a set to replace all the bearings for the wheels. Also would gt85 be fine for general all round lubricant and water displacement?

Second, I then plan on stripping the gearbox, cleaning and replacing the grease. What grade do you guys use and for What? Again product recommendations welcome :)

Once the full clean up is done I'll be looking to buy a brushless set up.

Bearings http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/ 

Gt85 will be fine for what you want to use it for.

Clean out all the grease and get yourself some 20k silicon shock oil. this will stiffen the diff up nicely for when you add brushless power. Otherwise you'll find a lot of power unloads to the inside wheel in corners. This will either flip the car as the tire balloons or you sort of stop as theres very little forward traction.

This combo is ideal for the firestorm....

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/264740/?gclid=CjwKEAiAqozEBRDJrPem0fPKtX0SJAD5sAyHvw6XReDj5oNVq3G6NMqCnkr4IihKkZBFJ_LAbFFAAhoCTW7w_wcB 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cookie666uk said:

Bearings http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/ 

Gt85 will be fine for what you want to use it for.

Clean out all the grease and get yourself some 20k silicon shock oil. this will stiffen the diff up nicely for when you add brushless power. Otherwise you'll find a lot of power unloads to the inside wheel in corners. This will either flip the car as the tire balloons or you sort of stop as theres very little forward traction.

This combo is ideal for the firestorm....

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/264740/?gclid=CjwKEAiAqozEBRDJrPem0fPKtX0SJAD5sAyHvw6XReDj5oNVq3G6NMqCnkr4IihKkZBFJ_LAbFFAAhoCTW7w_wcB 

Great. Thanks very much mate. I think I'm looking forward to getting it all clean and fresh more than getting a new motor and esc lol

Ive just refreshed my blitz with loads of shiny new bits and some new bearings. The diff could do with re-oiling but I REALLY CBA... In this weather, whatever is in there is stiff as hell so still works quite well. I will need to sort it by summer though. I also need to find out what the clicking noise in the spare gearbox is lol

34 minutes ago, bishbashbosh said:

I've just fitted new bearings from that shop for a tenner you can't go wrong.

Is there a guide to a diff rebuild as I'd like to do this too.

I have seen a video somewhere of a guy taking apart the full gearbox including diff to clean and replace grease but for the life of me I can't find it now. I'll keep looking and see.

Start taking bits off. Use your manual. Take photos/videos so you can see how it was before you pulled it to bits. Use a good degreasing agent to get the gunk out of the diffs. Dry your diff out afterwards then refill with silicon oil (20k+) to just above the bevel gears and screw back together. Then its a case of reversing your previous steps until its all back together.

Awesome rebuild kit available below

http://www.tsrproducts.com/index.php/hpi-hb/tsr-pro-seal-blitz-rtr-firestorm-gear-diff-upgrade-and-shim-set-os111034-blitz.html

Stripping your rc can be daunting but the best thing to do is to just get stuck in. In no time you'll be confidant to change anything and everything on your rigs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bishbashbosh said:

I've just fitted new bearings from that shop for a tenner you can't go wrong.

Is there a guide to a diff rebuild as I'd like to do this too.

Search is your friend 

• Like 1

So I went up to the hills near me for a little cross country. There were a few parts that could be used as jumps but it was mainly a cross country hike type deal. More like a crawler in some places. Lots of mud, pine needles, tree roots, rocks and other obstacles which made it great fun even without being able to get up full speed that often or do any big jumps.

As a result, this happened ...

20170124_143811_zpsxf0xfduu.jpg

20170124_145325_zpsbpoyhva0.jpg

20170124_145358_zpsllydexja.jpg

Ready for a bath ..

20170124_150709_zps2dmacjtx.jpg

And afterwards, I almost did a little sex wee when you do a comparison from being dirty as *!&" to being fresh and clean ...

20170124_154114_zpslmyx6dz4.jpg

20170124_153620_zpslfkmrjf7.jpg

Job done!!

Edited by Shokka
  • Like 1

The electrics are "waterproof" however we all know that just means splash proof. This is the 3rd time i've washed it like this. I didn't submerge it in a bath, i just put it in the bath and whacked the shower on. Held on to the rpm bumper and sprayed away into all the knooks and crannies to get everything off.

Once completely dirt free, I moved into the front room where i used the mrs' hairdryer to fully dry everything out. Then i went to town with WD40 and lube .... thats exactly how it sounds.

• Nick unpinned this topic